International Students apply
The University of Kentucky is proud of its diverse student body. UK's enrolled students represent more than 100 countries around the world. These students enjoy an enormous array of choices with over 200 majors in 11 academic colleges.
The University of Kentucky defines international applicants as those with citizenship other than the United States of America. Permanent Residents of the United States should complete a domestic application and include a photocopy of their Permanent Resident card.
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions offers three types of admission to prospective international students.
- Full Admission is offered to students who have met all requirements including English proficiency as noted below.
Conditional Admission is offered to students who meet academic admission requirements but who have not yet satisfied the English proficiency requirement. UK has its own Center for English as a Second Language (CESL) program. NOTE: No additional application is required for Conditional Admission. To find out more information about CESL, please visit https://esl.as.uky.edu/.
CESL “TOEFL Waiver Policy”: Conditionally admitted students can demonstrate English proficiency for undergraduate admission by successfully completing the Center for ESL.
- Financial Conditional Admission is offered to students who meet all academic admission requirements but who have not yet provided proof of funding. Official acceptance and an I-20 will not be issued until proof of funding is established.
- Spring (January): October 15
- Summer I (May): March 1
- Summer II (June/July): March 1
- Fall (August): May 15
International applicants must submit the following:
- International Application for Undergraduate Admission
- $60 non-refundable application processing fee
Official Transcripts All secondary school and college/university level transcripts must be submitted for review. The transcripts must be official and in your native language. You will also need to provide another official transcript that has been translated into English by your secondary school or college/university. (PHOTOCOPIES, SCANNED IMAGES, OR FAXES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED).
College/university transcripts from institutions outside of the United States will be evaluated for transfer credit by our office. To insure that you receive the most transfer credit possible, you may choose to have your transcripts evaluated by a professional credential evaluation agency. The University of Kentucky recommends World Education Services (WES.) Please visit WES website for details and instructions and list the University of Kentucky as the receiving institution.
- Course Descriptions or Syllabi for transfer applicants. Transfer applicants are required to provide course descriptions or syllabi in both native language and in English translation for all the courses on your transcript. They must be on official letterhead from all of the institutions that you have attended. If admitted, this will allow our Transfer Equivalency Office to begin the course evaluation process before you arrive on campus.
- Bank Statement on bank letterhead is required. We will accept scanned or faxed copies of the official bank statement or an original bank statement. Please show an available balance in U.S. dollars of $42,500 if applying for the 2018 Spring and Fall Semesters. Fees are subject to change.
- Complete the Sponsor Guarantee Form
English Proficiency The University of Kentucky accepts official TOEFL and IELTS results from the testing headquarters. The minimum TOEFL score of 71 (iBT), 197 (cbt) or 527 (paper-based) or a minimum score of 6.0 on the IELTS is required for admission to the University of Kentucky.
To order official scores, please contact: TOEFL UK's Office of Undergraduate Admission TOEFL code is 1234.
Additionally, we offer Conditional Admission to students who meet academic admission requirements but who have not yet satisfied the English proficiency requirement. UK has its own Center for English as a Second Language (CESL) program. NOTE: No additional application is required for Conditional Admission. To find out more information about CESL, please visit https://esl.as.uky.edu/.
CESL "TOEFL Waiver Policy": Conditionally admitted students can demonstrate English proficiency for undergraduate admission by successfully completing the Center for ESL.
Freshman applicants who wish to be considered for academic scholarships or a major within UK's College of Engineering must also provide Official ACT or SAT Results.
To order an official score report, please contact:
ACT or (319) 337-1313. UK's school code is 1554.
SAT or (866) 756-7346. UK's school code is 1837.
ACT/SAT SCORES MUST NOT BE OVER 5 YEARS OLD.
Students living in the U.S. and attending a U.S. high school for one year or more must also submit ACT or SAT scores.
- A copy of your passport. Additional documents may be requested at time of application.
Faxes and photocopies of official documents will not be accepted.
If you have any questions about the international undergraduate admission process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarships are competitive and are awarded to the top candidates in the applicant pool. The candidates will be evaluated on multiple criteria, including their academic background, a potential to positively represent their home country and the University of Kentucky, an essay, leadership experience, extracurricular activities, awards and recognition, community service. Even though scholarships are open to all students, unfortunately, not all who apply will be offered scholarships. However, we assure each applicant that his or her application will receive consideration and fair treatment in this competitive process.