How to Make a Display Box
Equipment and Materials Needed:
- Parts cut to specifications listed in "size" column
- Nails and screws
- 1/2" brads
- Varnish or paint
||¾ x ½ x 24
||¾ x 3 ½ x 16 ½
||¾ x 3 1/8 x 16 ½
||¾ x 3/8 x 16 ½
||1/8 x 18 x 25
||½ x 16 ½ x 22 ½
||17 x 23
Steps for Making a display box:
- Make the grooves in Parts A, B and
D. You will need to have an adult do
this for you or help you do it. (See the
plans below for making grooves. )
- Align parts A and B so the grooves
for the PlexiglasTM match. You can do
this by putting part B in place so the
other edge of the square fits into its
- Nail or screw the two parts together. Do not pound
the nails all the way in yet.
- Put part C in place so its top edge is even with
the bottom of the grooves of the two A parts;
fasten part C in place.
- Fasten on the plywood bottom, part E, using 1/2-inch
brads. There will be enough give in the side
piece already assembled so they can be forced,
if necessary, to square up with the plywood bottom.
- Now slip the PlexiglasTM into place from the part C
end of the box. If the PlexiglasTM fits well,
you can then finish pounding the nails all the
- Remove the PlexiglasTM and glue the cellotex pinning
bottom, part F, into place.
- Do not nail part D in place. Use a screw instead.
You will need to be able to take part D off
whenever you want to get into the collection.
- Sand and varnish or paint your box, if you want.
Do not get paint or varnish in the grooves
cut out for the PlexiglasTM.