University of Kentucky Department of Entomology

Mystery Bug Answers

Mystery Picture #59

Mystery Picture #59

USDA Insect and Plant Disease
Slide Set
R. Bessin, University of Kentucky
(Mystery Pictures)(Mystery Pictures)


This beetle is called a weevil. There are lots of different kinds of weevils, but you can usually distinguish them from other beetles because of their long beaks. It's hard to see without a microscope, but the chewing mouthparts of a weevil are way out on the end of its beak. (Did you guess the extra credit question correctly?)

These beaks can be quite long--longer than the body on some weevil species! Why do weevils have such long beaks? They use their extended mouthparts to get past hulls, shells, and rinds of the fruits and seeds that they eat. It's their way of getting past the defenses.

This particular weevil is called the Pecan weevil, which is sometimes a serious pest where pecans are grown. The adults feed on pecan fruits with their long noses while the maggot-like weevil larvae eat the fruit from the inside out.


Damselflies are relatives of dragonflies and, like those insects, are very common near ponds and streams. Damselflies are very good fliers, and they are able to catch flies, moths, beetles, and other insects on the wing!

The immature stages of both damselflies and dragonflies live underwater. These are called "naiads." Damselfly and dragonfly naiads are predatory. They feed on aquatic insects, other damselfly larvae, and anything else they can catch.

The difference between damselflies and dragonflies? Dragonflies are usually larger, but some damselflies can get to be quite large too. The best way to tell them apart is by the way they hold their wings when they aren't flying: dragonflies hold their wings out straight, damselflies hold their wings up over their body (like the one in the picture).

For pictures of lots of dragonflies and damselflies, follow the links at:

Return to Mystery Bugs

This page is maintained by Pat Dillon, Department of Entomology, University of Kentucky. Please send questions or suggestions to: