Apple IPM Home
Apple Scouting Manual
IPM Final Reports
Kentucky Apple Integrated Crop Management Manual
San Jose Scale Monitoring
Materials: Traps Return Mailers Baits Assembly Instructions Black Marker1) Assemble traps as per enclosed instructions. Be sure the bait (attractant cap) is secure.
2) Mark trap with date it was hung and hang trap in scale infested tree.
3) Once each week, preferably on the same day, remove the used trap from the tree.
4) Once adult SJS has been captured, begin calculation of day degree accumulation. (510F minimum threshold; 900F upper threshold)
5) Crawler movement usually begins at approximately 380 - 400 day degrees after male flight and is at a maximum about 600 degree days after male flight.
6) To detect crawlers:
- a. Place a piece of black tape, with the sticky side out on an infested limb. Check the tape (especially edges) for crawlers.
- b. Using a hand lense and a straight pin or probe "flip" over old scales and look for tiny but bright yellow crawlers.
7) When crawler movement occurs make appropriate pesticide application.
This technique if implemented properly will have a great impact on SJS populations. However, it is best used in conjunction with a well applied dormant or delayed dormant oil and a good pruning and training program.
Apple IPM web site created by Kerry Kirk - 2001 - Send questions or comments to Patty Lucas