- Selection Committee/Process - The participant selection committee will consist of appointed members from the program advisory board, excluding program directors. The selection committee will review all applications and select a slate of candidates for a personal interview. Spouses are strongly encouraged to participate in the interview.
- Selection Criteria -- The program consists of a class of 20 individuals who are motivated to
improve their leadership, management, and communication skills in order to elevate the image and profitability of
Kentucky agriculture and to enhance the quality of life in rural communities. The selection committee will assemble
a class that is diversified in terms of race, gender, farm size, geographic region, farm enterprises, agribusinesses,
and various levels of leadership experience. The program seeks individuals who possess:
- A dedicated commitment to Kentucky agriculture and to the success of KALP
- A willingness to learn, participate, get along with others, and attend all seminars
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and a potential for leadership growth
- Character, integrity, personality, and a solid reputation among family members, peers, and employers
Normally, no more than one individual from a single entity (farm organization, agribusiness, university, government agency) or from a family will be selected for each class. At least two-thirds of the class should be comprised of individuals (either full or part-time) directly involved in production agriculture.