Please read the following information carefully before you begin to fill out the application.
PLEASE NOTE: To be eligible for the Scholarship you must have been accepted to the University of Kentucky as a part or full-time undergraduate degree-seeking student. If you have not yet applied to UK, please visit www.uky.edu/Admission/ or contact Michelle Nordin at 859-257-7173 for more information.
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP
The Women’s Empowerment Scholarship is a stipend provided by the Center for Research on Violence Against Women.
- The Scholarship stipend may be up to $4,000 a year, adjusted based on the level of other grant and scholarship funds available, the need presented by the applicant, and the number of credit hours being taken by the student.
- The Scholarship may be renewable up to four years if the student maintains a 2.5 collegiate GPA and submits a completed renewal application.
- The Scholarship may be bundled with other scholarships and grants to give the student awarded the WES the strongest financial package available.
- The Scholarship recipient will be assigned an undergraduate academic adviser.
- The Scholarship recipient will be assigned a domestic violence advocate from the Bluegrass Domestic Violence Program if appropriate.
To be eligible for a Women’s Empowerment Scholarship, applicants must:
- Have been accepted to UK as a part or full-time undergraduate degree-seeking student;
- Have been served through one of the member programs of the Kentucky Domestic Violence Association* OR has an experience of intimate partner violence, rape, or stalking as a teen, college student, or in the family of origin;
- Be a U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen as defined and permitted under federal law;
- Be a Kentucky resident, eligible for in-state tuition;
- Have a minimum grade point average (high school or college) of 3.0 and ACT scores of 22; and
- Transfer students currently enrolled full-time at an accredited institution are eligible if they have completed a minimum of 24 semester hours and have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.
*Member programs of the Kentucky Domestic Violence Association (KDVA) include:
Safe Harbor, Inc. (Ashland); Barren River Safe Space, Inc. (Bowling Green); SpringHaven, Inc. (Elizabethtown); LKLP Safe House (Hazard); Sanctuary, Inc. (Hopkinsville); Bluegrass Domestic Violence Program (Lexington); Center for Women & Families (Louisville); Women’s Crisis Center (Maysville); D.O.V.E.S., Inc. (Morehead); Family Life Abuse Center (Mount Vernon); Women’s Crisis Center (Northern KY); O.A.S.I.S., Inc. (Owensboro); Merryman House (Paducah); Sandy Valley Abuse Center (Prestonsburg); and Bethany House Abuse Shelter, Inc. (Somerset).
Information on the Kentucky Domestic Violence Association can be found at www.kdva.org