Distance Learning Programs offers many levels of support to faculty in developing both fully online and hybrid courses. Review the SACS definition of distance learning to determine if your course fits this definition. Our Instructional Design team will discuss with you appropriate distance learning pedagogical approaches for your particular course. We also demonstrate University supported technologies to help create engaging learning experiences. We offer a stipend of $3,000 for the development of a three credit hour course.
There are two parallel processes for you to complete in order to have your course approved for distance learning and receive the development stipend. The Course Approval Process and Course Development Process are both outlined below. We will discuss the Course Approval process in more detail during your initial meeting with our Instructional Design Team.
Course Approval Process
The Course Approval Process consists of completing the necessary steps to get your course approved for distance learning by the university. The approval process for distance learning courses follows the same process as approval for new courses or changes to existing courses. Follow the policies and procedures for your own department and college to gain approval for a new distance learning course, or to add the distance learning option to an existing course. Please plan for one full academic year for course approval.
The directions for using eCATS are provided below; please be aware that in some colleges only certain department representatives are designated to use the eCATS system.
- Log into myuk.uky.edu
- Click on the Enterprise Services tab at the top of the screen
- Click on eCATS (Curricular Proposal) under Detailed Navigation on the left
- Choose either New Course or Change Course
- Click Choose File and upload your Course Syllabus
- Fill out the form, making sure to complete the Distance Learning portion
Once your proposal has been entered into the eCATS system, it will then be evaluated and approved by the following committees before it can be scheduled for distance learning delivery:
- Department Chair
- College Curricular Committee
- Undergraduate, Graduate, and/or Health Care Colleges Councils
- Senate Council
- Faculty Senate
Once you have received written approval from the Senate, you will be able to schedule your distance learning course.
Course Development Process
The Course Development Process involves working with our instructional design team to design, develop, and implement your course. Contact us at least one full semester prior to delivery for incentive funding eligibility. The Course Development Process is outlined below.
- Contact one of Distance Learning Programs Instructional Designers to schedule an initial meeting.
- Attend a meeting to talk about your course and learn about available DLP services and resources. If you have a copy of your draft syllabus, please bring it to the meeting. We will discuss:
- Goals for your course
- Timeline for course development and approval
- Appropriate technology and usage based on your course objectives
- Online library and media resources