Tutoring is when the tutee is assisted by the peer to understand the material of a specific course. The tutor is not a teacher in the full sense of the word, but a person knowledgeable of the subject matter and able to facilitate the tutee's understanding of it. SSS provides two types of tutoring: Individual and Small Group. Students can do a combination of the two as well. The tutor & tutee schedule the time that best suits his/her schedules, which allows for more flexibility. It all starts with the completion of the Tutor/Study Group Request Form once completed the Learning Specialist will contact the tutor & the tutee. After that it is up to the tutor & tutee to come up with a schedule. SSS tutoring promotes six goals that our tutors work to meet. They are...
- Promote independence in learning
- Personalize instruction
- Facilitate tutee insights into learning & the learning process
- Provide a student perspective on learning and school success
- Respect individual differences
- Promote a positive self-image while giving positive criticism
Manuals are in Adobe .pdf format
The SSS Math instructors and tutors provide one-to-one tutorials for SSS students in the following courses: Math 109, 111, 112, 113, 114, 123, 162, through calculus IV. It is recommended that SSS students taking any of these courses meet with the tutors at the beginning of the semester. We have found that students learn better if they study their material every day. Students need to study at least 15 hours per week for any math course in order to do well.
In order to succeed, please remember:
- Attend class regularly!
- Be prepared to do your own work.
- Study in groups of two or three so you can learn from each other.
- Seek help from your instructor when you do not understand concepts or problems RIGHT AWAY!
- Students seeking help late in the semester (when in academic trouble) often do not learn the material well enough to get a passing grade in these math courses.
The SSS Writing Instructor and tutors are available to help you with ANY type of writing project — from essays to lab reports, resumes, and personal statements. The SSS Writing service also offers workshops for students enrolled in CIS & WRD 110. Writing instruction is available via email or by appointment for one-on-one tutoring Monday-Friday from 8:30-5:00. The only requirement is that you request help at least 3 days before the paper is due.
The SSS writing tutors can help you to:
- Understand exactly what a writing assignment is asking you to do.
- Develop a deeper understanding of your course readings.
- Organize and focus your ideas.
- Structure your thoughts and arguments clearly and logically.
- Add fullness and depth to your arguments and discussions.
- Revise a paper in accordance with your teacher's comments.
To get the most out of a writing tutoring session:
- Seek tutoring well before an assignment is due. Don't wait until the last minute to seek help from a tutor! A tutor can't help you much on the day an assignment is due.
- Bring all relevant materials to the tutoring session (written assignment sheet, course readings, class notes, early drafts of your paper if you're working to revise, instructor's comments).
- Tell the tutor how you feel about your progress on the assignment so far, and explain what you would like the tutor to work on with you.
- Be open to the tutor's suggestions, always keeping in mind that the tutor is your advocate.
- Don't expect the tutor to do your work (or proofreading) for you!
To apply for a tutor/study group, please fill out the following form (files are in .pdf format) and return it to Student Support Services:
Tutor/Study Group Request Form
For further information about SSS tutoring click on the following link:
Brochure for SSS Tutoring and Study Groups
Tutors assist in enhancing the academic success of Student Support Services program participants at the University of Kentucky, by supplying effective facilitation in a manner that will improve academic skills while developing mastery of subject material. Student independence rather than tutor dependence will be the emphasis of the tutorial program. The program uses both individual and small group tutoring & allows the tutor and tutee to personalize the time of the sessions. Expectations of the tutor from SSS is:
- Lead one or two study groups a week
- Prepare for each tutoring session
- Contact tutees weekly
- Facilitate tutoring sessions
- Matching the sessions with the syllabus
- Maintaining documentation of session
- Use learning styles during tutoring sessions
- Attend tutoring meetings at least twice a semester
- Participate in CRLA tutor certification program
- Talk to Learning Specialist when problems arise with students
- Meet with Learning Specialist monthly to review student progress.
If you think tutoring sounds like an experience you would like to have, then follow this link:
Tutor Job Description
SSS provides students who are struggling with adapting to the collegiate expectations courses to support them in getting better acclimated. Courses such as TAC: Taking Academic Control, Me Inc., and Habits of Mind assist the student in developing the skills necessary to be successful as a college student and leader.
TAC: Taking Academic Control
Tuesdays, 11:30 am
Habits of Mind
Tuesdays, 5:30 pm
TAC Students will be able to...
- Demonstrate understanding of his/her learning style
- Articulate their strengths and weaknesses
- Develop skills for achieving academic success such as study strategies.
- Set academic and personal goals
Syllabus PDF file (attached to email)
ME Inc. is a program designed to assist students in developing the motivation & skills needed to achieve High Performance in college and career success. Through this course you will:
- Start discovering yourself
- Develop general Study Skills
- Identify your goals, rewards, and obstacles
- Connect academic skills to career skills
If you are interested and would like to sign up please click on the following email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let the Learning Specialist know the day & program you would like to participate.
Habits of Mind (under construction)
Workshopsare provided on multiple topics to continue the growth of the SSS participant throughout their time at UK. Programs such as the Color Code, Test Anxiety, Time Management, Getting Ahead, Stress, Writing to name a few. These workshops provide students with great information in a short amount of time for FREE. All students need to do is click on the CALENDAR and send an email next to the preferred workshop. Students can attend as many as he/she would like. Students can also request individual sessions by emailing the Learning Specialist at email@example.com.
To RSVP, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the Workshop Title, Date, Time and Location of the workshop you would like to attend.