Interim Vice President for Institutional Diversity
Every summer the Office for Institutional Diversity partners with the Lincoln Foundation to host a cohort 25 Whitney Young Scholars for a two week intenstive that provides students with a first hand experience of college life. The program endeavors to expose students to some of our most gifted faculty members covering a wide range of topics and student interests.
The Whitney M. YOUNG (Youth Organized to Understand New Goals) Scholars Program recruits academically talented, economically disadvantaged seventh grade students in the Louisville Metro area, and over a six year period, prepares them for high school graduation and successful transition into college. This preparation includes:
- Introducing more structure into the Scholar's personal environment
- Maintaining and improving the Scholar's academic performance
- Enhancing the Scholar's self-esteem
- Developing the Scholar's values, character, and ethics
- Facilitating parental/guardian advocacy for each Scholar
- Providing positive peer and mentor interaction for the Scholar in a stimulating environment that is
- conducive to learning
- Enhancing cultural awareness.