The mission of the University of Kentucky Cultural Diversity Festival is to promote cultural awareness to the UK campus and Lexington community. The festival is devoted to highlighting the wealth of diversity represented at UK and strives to engage all students, faculty and staff, as well as the Lexington community, through fostering dialogue, encouraging new experiences and promoting unity.
The Cultural Diversity Festival Committee serves to coordinate and plan activities that enrich the lives of students, faculty and staff through exposure to programs that are culturally stimulating, intellectually challenging and representative of a global community. The committee is dedicated to the principle that the ideals of a global community are best pursued, understood and celebrated through active engagement with the diverse range of thoughts and experiences that reflect the value of all people.
The committee is comprised of students, faculty and staff — each of whom volunteers their time and expertise. Its goals and objectives are:
- To coordinate a series of events celebrating diversity.
- To involve student organizations in planning activities that contribute to the program
- To involve colleges and departments in planning intellectually challenging topics for presentation and discussion; ie., forums. lectures, workshops.
- To incorporate at least one internationally known concert artist in the program.
- To engage the talents of students, faculty, and staff.
- To present programs with professional quality.