University of Kentucky 2011-2015 Diversity Plan
Download the PDF copy of the 2011-2015 Diversity Plan.
The 2009-2014 UK Strategic Plan Strategy 1.4.4 is Develop and implement new programs and strategies to increase student enrollment and diversity including efforts related to transfer student, non-traditional student, and military veteran enrollment, as appropriate, and pipeline initiatives with middle and high school students and their teachers.
First Time Transfers
|Term||Nonresident Alien||Black (Non-Hispanic)||American Indian or Alaskan Native||Asian||Hispanic||Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Is||White (Non-Hispanic)||Unknown||Multi-Racial (two or more races)||Total|
To support this UK Strategic Plan commitment including transfer students, the University of Kentucky has the following initiatives in place:
- Transfer Student Services (TSS): Provides communication and services for students transferring to UK from any other higher education institution as well as for currently enrolled transfer students. The services and programs currently in effect include pre-admission advising from a dedicated transfer advisor, pathway to transfer guides for KCTCS students, the BCTCblue+ program, K Week activities for transfer students and assistance with the transfer student organization.
- Dedicated Transfer Advisor: The Transfer Advisor provides preadmission advising and answers questions about the transfer process to any student interested in transferring to the University of Kentucky. The Transfer Advisor is stationed at Bluegrass Community and Technical College four days a week working with BCTC students interested in transferring to UK. The Transfer Advisor also makes periodic trips to other KCTCS institutions to advise prospective transfer students. Additionally, the Transfer Advisor is an advocate for current UK transfer students and works with these students on issues related to the transfer process, including transfer equivalencies and campus resources.
- Pathway to Transfer guides: The Pathway to Transfer guides provide suggested sequences of the coursework that will satisfy the requirements for an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) degree at BCTC (or KCTCS) and that are best suited for completing a wide array of UK undergraduate majors in no more than two to three years after completing either the AA or AS degree.
- BCTCblue+: BCTCblue+ is a program designed to promote successful undergraduate educational experiences for students whose academic plans involve enrollment at Bluegrass Community and Technical College and then a transfer to UK. This partnership results in better service, eliminates barriers and increases student success. The goal is to support a more seamless transfer to UK after achieving an AA or AS degree at BCTC. Students in this program can take up to 12 credits hours (up to 4 classes) at UK while they complete their BCTC courses while paying BCTC tuition rate for those courses.
- University of Kentucky Association for Transfer Students (UKATS): The Transfer Advisor works with transfer student leaders in this transfer student organization and also serves as the advisor. The stated purpose in the UKATS constitution is as follows: As transfer students, our purpose is to ease/aid our fellow transfer students by providing: Resources, Support, Peer Mentors, Social Events, Campus Involvement, and Advocating for and representing them within the UK campus community.
Comprehensive assessment of strategies and best practices implemented in support of the institutional diversity plan.
The University of Kentucky strategies and best practices that support diversity begin with the 2009-2014 Strategic Plan. The University's compelling interest in diversity is present throughout this plan including Mission, Values, and Goals. Specific metrics provide for annual progress measures. Best practices include, but are not limited to, the following programs, services, activities, organizational units, and other initiatives: