Bomb threats may be received by phone, email or letter.
If a bomb threat is received:
- Remain calm.
- If the threat was made in writing, do not handle the letter or note any more than necessary.
- Do not touch or move any unfamiliar objects.
- If your phone has caller ID, record the number displayed.
- Gain the attention of someone else nearby and point out the number you recorded and have that person call 911. This call should be made out of hearing range from the caller.
- Try to keep the caller on the phone long enough to complete the Threatening Call/Bomb Threat Checklist.
- Work with arriving emergency personnel to assist them in evaluating the threat.
- If requested, assist emergency responders with a search of the area.
- If ordered to evacuate by emergency personnel, do so in an orderly manner.