Natural Gas Leak, Fumes and/or Vapors
If you detect natural gas, fumes or vapors:
If a building or area evacuation is ordered by emergency responders:
- Immediately call:
From campus phone: 911
From cell phone*: 911 or #UKPD (#8753)
If you dial 911 from a cell phone to report something on campus immediately tell the dispatcher that you are calling from UK Campus and provide them with the street address or exact location from which you are calling.
- Provide the location of the odor and any details available to the dispatcher.
- Clear the area immediately if instructed to do so by the emergency dispatcher, providing assistance to those with special needs.
- Leave all ventilation systems operating unless instructed otherwise by emergency responders.
- Leave the area immediately, avoiding the used of elevators unless necessary.
- Identify those with persons with special needs and provide assistance if possible. If necessary, provide their location to emergency responders upon exiting the building.
- Report to your department's designated gathering point to be accounted for.
- Make every attempt to direct evacuation personnel away from the hazardous area. Building occupants should not return until instructed to do so.