Steps Taken by the University
In response to the growing presence of the Novel H1N1 Flu Virus in the United States, the University of Kentucky is taking the following steps:
- All students who are reporting to University Health Service with any flu-like symptoms are being monitored according to the protocols set by the Kentucky Department of Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Residence Life staff have been provided with health information about flu symptoms and prevention strategies to share with students.
- Faculty have been provided information about the Novel H1N1 virus and the possible affect it may have on class attendance.
- Additional alcohol-based hand sanitizer stations are been installed throughout campus.
- Posters advising regular hand washing and cough etiquette to prevent the spread of germs have been posted throughout campus.
- Emergency response personnel are conducting regular monitoring of all relevant state, federal, and international information (i.e. Kentucky Department of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, World Health Organization, etc.).
- The University will issue periodic updates or alerts campus-wide if the situation in the state or on the campus changes and has the potential to affect the University of Kentucky community. For the most up-to-date information, please continue to check this Web site.
- As UK received Novel H1N1 vaccine, it has been distributed to the campus community.