In the event of a utility outage, immediately call: UK Physical Plant - 257-2830
- Keep a flashlight with spare batteries immediately accessible.
- Know how to locate the closest exit.
Many campus facilities are equipped with emergency generators to power critical operations. Most buildings are provided with emergency lighting to aid in the safe evacuation of the building.
In the event of a large scale utility outage:
- Remain calm.
- Do not light candles or other types of flames for lighting.
- If building evacuation becomes necessary, seek out persons with special needs and provide assistance if possible. If additional assistance is needed, call 911.
- Secure all vital equipment, records, experiments and hazardous materials if safe to do so. Store all chemicals in their original or marked containers and fully open all fume hoods. If this is not possible, or natural ventilation is not adequate, evacuate the area until power is restored.
If someone is trapped in an elevator, call: UK Physical Plant - 257-3844
- If you are able to communicate with the trapped individual(s), let them know help is on the way.
- Provide specific location information and number of individuals involved to the dispatcher.
- If safe to do so, stay near the passengers until emergency responders are on site and the elevator is identified.