- Undergraduate students must be registered for at least 12 hours and graduate students must be registered for a minimum of 9 hours.
- Students may stay in Real Estate Services Housing during the summer if they are registered for the Fall Semester.
- Upon graduating, tenants must vacate housing within 30 days unless you become an employee of the University or are enrolled in full time post-graduate studies.
- All properties are unfurnished except for kitchen stove and refrigerator.
- Some properties may have a washer and dryer; however, they are not supported appliances. Real Estate Services staff will not repair or replace these items should they become inoperable.
- Any inoperable University appliance shall only be disposed of by Real Estate Services Staff.
- Only persons listed on the lease may occupy the property and each must sign the lease. If there is a change in tenants, Real Estate Services MUST be notified immediately and the lease updated to show current residents.
- All persons 18 years of age or older that live in a Real Estate Services unit must sign the Lease Agreement. This makes them “jointly and severally” responsible for the home and its contents as well as all charges. Simply put, each individual in the home can be held legally responsible for the full balance of charges.
- Leases automatically renew each month and tenants must give a 30 day written notice to vacate. If the effective date or vacating date of the lease is other than the first or last of the month; rent will be prorated.
- Rent is due on the 1st day of each month and must be received in our office before 4:30pm on the 5th of each month. A $25 late fee will be charged if payments are made after the 5th. Rent may be paid in check or money order; credit cards are not accepted. All payments will be applied first to any past due or unpaid charges, thereafter to current charges. A $25 fee will be charged for a returned check.
- A security deposit will be required to hold a property and will not be refunded if a lease is canceled before move-in. This will be deposited in a University account and will be refunded when the premises are vacated; provided proper notification is given and the unit is clean/ in as good repair as when leased; except for normal wear and tear. The Security Deposit is not intended as payment for unpaid rent or other charges.
- A Check In-Check Out sheet is provided when the lease is signed and must be completed, signed by each tenant and returned to our office within 5 working days after move-in. Tenants are asked to note any problems within the property and if none are listed, the property is assumed to be clean and in good condition. The same sheet will be used to inspect the property when it is vacated. Any cleaning, damage or replacement charges will be deducted from the Security Deposit and it is understood that liability is not limited to the amount of the Security Deposit and that the tenant is responsible for all such charges upon vacating. A list of approximate charges will be provided.
- Pets are prohibited in all Real Estate Services properties.
- All Real Estate Services units are tobacco-free. As of November 19, 2009, all University property located in Fayette County, including Real Estate Services managed property, is tobacco free. This includes all porches, landings, front and back yards.
- Tenants must take appropriate steps to prevent pipes from freezing during periods when temperatures may fall below freezing. All garden hoses must be removed from exterior faucets, all furnaces and heat pumps must remain in the "on" position, and all thermostats must be maintained at a minimum of 58 degrees Fahrenheit. Tenants shall pay particular attention to these guidelines should they anticipate being away for extended periods of time, including semester breaks, weekends, holidays, and other academic breaks.
For a printable version of this information, please view our Leasing Guidelines Fact Sheet.