An Undercover Investigation of Ethical Standard 7:
Education and Training
A WebQuest for EDP 606
In a team of four you will work together to uncover the compliance or incompliance of the counseling psychology training programs at the University of Kentucky and a few benchmark universities. Your team is going to act as auditors working for the American Psychological Association.
1. You may choose your group members. But choose carefully. You want sneaky, undercover characters on your team. Each of you in the group will choose a program to investigate. This will be your role.
Each member of the team will examine the seven subsections of Standard 7 as related to the university counseling training programs. Essentially, each team member will be responsible for investigating the ethical compliance for each University.
UK Spy: investigates the compliance of the University of Kentucky
UWM Spy: investigates the compliance of the University of Wisconsin
UofI Spy: investigates the compliance of the University of Illinois
UofIowa Spy: investigates the compliance of the University of Iowa
For example, team member 1 would be in charge of the University of Kentucky (UK). After examining the link to Standard 7.01, the team member will then click the link to UK. The student will then examine if UK is compliant with standard 7.01. Team member 1 will examine the other subsections of Standard 7 as applicable to UK. The other team members will each examine the subsections for each of the other programs.
4. Scoring: Each school will receive a score in the following fashion:
3: Training program is compliant with standard over and above requirement.
2:Training program is compliant with the requirement.
1: Training program is compliant with some of the requirements, but not all.
0: Training program is not compliant with any of the requirement.
5. Comments: List any comments you may have about the intersecting standard and program.
6. Total: Total the scores for each school.
7. Now work with you group. Share your opinions about each university. Your task is to arrive at consensus that takes each perspective into account.
8. As undercover agents for APA, are there any universities that need further investigation? What would you do if you found a program in violation of an ethical standard?
Hopefully you have been able to discover the importance of Standard 7 of the American Psychological Association’s Ethical Code. Additionally, you have understood how Standard 7 is implemented in the training and research of new counseling psychologists.
As you have discovered Standard 7, perhaps you are wondering about other Standards of the Ethics Code as they apply to the university setting. Check out APA’s Ethics Code for more information on all the Principles and Standards.
Further, as multicultural issues become increasingly relevant to the profession of psychology, check out APA’s Guidelines on Multicultural Education, Training, Research, Practice, and Organizational Change for Psychologists.
We all benefit by being generous with our work. Permission is hereby granted for other educators to copy this WebQuest, update or otherwise modify it, and post it elsewhere provided that the original author's name is retained along with a link back to the original URL of this WebQuest. On the line after the original author's name, you may add Modified by (your name) on (date). If you do modify it, please let me know and provide the new URL.
Based on a template from The WebQuest Page
Updated by the firstname.lastname@example.org on December 8, 2004 14:03