Admissions Advisory Committee
- Chair: Richard Mitchell, '13
- Jenna Hatcher, '13
- Ernie Yanarella, '13
- Raphael Finkel, 13 (chair, Senate's Admissions and Academic Standards Committee), ex officio nonvoting
- Don Witt (assistant provot for enrollment management), ex officio nonvoting
- VACANT (associate provost for undergraduate education), ex officio nonvoting
- Roger Sugarman (designee of vice president for Institutional Research, Planning and Effectiveness), ex officio nonvoting
Senate Council Charge 2012-2013
- Present a report to the Senate Council on current activities.
- Work with Senate's Admissions and Academic Standards Committee to identify any overlap in the two committees' charges.
Charter - Senate Rules 184.108.40.206The SAAC is a standing committee of the University Senate. The voting members of the SAAC are the Assistant Provost for Enrollment Management, the Chair of the Senate committee on Admissions and Academic Standards, and three additional University Faculty members appointed by the Senate Council to staggered three-year terms. Ex officio, non-voting members of the Committee are the Associate Provost of Undergraduate Education and the Vice President for Institutional Research, Planning and Effectiveness (or that person's designee). The committee must be chaired by one of the three appointed University Faculty members. In the case of a tie vote, the vote of the chair shall prevail.
The SAAC is responsible for recommending admissions policy within general guidelines established by the University Senate. The SAAC is charged to:
- Establish the University's admissions management system, as described in SR 220.127.116.11.B.
- File a written report to the Provost recommending admissions objectives such as average ACT scores and desired size of each year's entering Freshman class. A copy of the report shall be presented to the Senate Council.
- Establish automatic admission criteria.
- Upon the recommendation of the Assistant Provost for Enrollment Management, approve any warranted deviations from the automatic admissions criteria.
- After consultation with the Assistant Provost for Enrollment Management, the SAAC may recommend to the Provost closing admissions on any of the following bases: 1) the desired class size has been reached; 2) the class is large enough given existing constraints; and 3) admissions objectives other than class size have been achieved.
- Establish parameters for the decisions on exceptions, under which applicants may be admitted who have not met the automatic admissions criteria.
- Request that the Provost provide specific data on admissions, enrollment, and student performance.
- Request data from the Assistant Provost for Enrollment Management for use in establishing or evaluating admissions policy.
- Review and analyze the information provided in (7) and (8) above by the Provost and Assistant Provost for Enrollment Management and disseminate the results of its review and analysis to the educational units.