Graduate School Bulletin - Spring 2005


Tuition and Fees for 2004-2005

Tuition Schedule

  Per Semester:
Fall and Spring1
Per Credit Hour:
Part-time, First and
Second Summer Sessions2
Graduate School Resident $2,826.25 $298.55
NonResident $6,546.25 $711.55
Communication disorders and physical therapy graduate students will be charged an additional program fee of $75 per semester (fall and spring) and $35 per summer term.

Graduate students enrolled in the Masters in Accounting program will be charged an additional $300 program fee per semester (fall and spring).

MBA Resident $3,270.25 $348.55
NonResident $7,842.25 $856.55
Graduate students pursuing a Masters in Business Administration will be charged an additional $300 program fee per semester (fall and spring).

M.A. in Diplomacy and International Commerce

M.S. in Physician Assistant Studies

Resident $2,946.25 $312.55
NonResident $6,666.25 $725.55

M.S. in Radiological Medical Physics

M.S. in Health Physics

Resident $3,271.25 $348.55
NonResident $6,991.25 $761.55

1 For tuition purposes, 9 hours constitute a full-time load for graduate students.

2 For tuition purposes, part-time students and first and second summer session students are charged on a per-hour basis.

Mandatory Registration Fee (included in the figures above)

Part-time and
First and Second Summer Sessions
Per Credit Hour
$ 281.25 $ 562.50 $15.55
For fee purposes, 9 hours constitute a full-time load for graduate students.

Fellowships and Assistantships

Financial assistance is available in the form of fellowships and assistantships, as well as research funding. A fellowship is a non-service award made to superior students to assist in the pursuit of an advanced degree. An assistantship is an appointment to perform specified teaching or research duties.

The University of Kentucky honors the following:

Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows, Trainees and Assistants
Adopted by the Council of Graduate Schools in the United States
"Acceptance of an offer of financial support (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) for the next academic year by a prospective or enrolled graduate student completes an agreement that both student and graduate school expect to honor. In that context, the conditions affecting such offers and their acceptance must be defined carefully and understood by all parties." "Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution. In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which the commitment has been made. Similarly, an offer made by an institution after April 15 is conditional on presentation by the student of a written release from any previously accepted offer. It is further agreed by the institutions and organizations subscribing to the above Resolution that a copy of this Resolution should accompany every scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, and assistantship offer."


There are more than 400 non-service fellowships available in all areas of graduate work. The majority of these fellowships carry a tuition scholarship and student health insurance as well as a stipend. Tenure may be from one to three years, depending on fellowship type. While fellowships are formally awarded by the Graduate School, nominations for most fellowships are made by the department in which a student is enrolled or seeks to enroll.

Almost all fellowships are awarded beginning with the fall semester. There are virtually no fellowships that begin with the spring semester. Departments make fellowship nominations by February for the next academic year, so students interested in a fellowship should submit applications and all supporting documents before that time. Later applicants have a reduced chance of obtaining a fellowship. Notification regarding awarding of fellowships comes from the Graduate School by early May.


Approximately 1500 teaching or research assistantships are available from departments and other units of the University. In addition to an assistantship stipend, full or partial tuition scholarships and student health insurance are available for most assistantship holders.
The majority of assistantships are awarded beginning with the fall semester. Students interested in an assistantship should submit applications to their department by February 1 for the next academic year; late applicants have a reduced chance of obtaining an assistantship. Most assistantship decisions are made by April for the coming academic year.

Notification of an assistantship comes from the department. Questions about the availability of positions and the status of assistantship applications should be addressed to the Director of Graduate Studies in the department a student seeks to enter.

Tuition Scholarships

All new non-resident students enrolled in a University of Kentucky graduate degree program are eligible for tuition scholarships based on their prior academic performance. These scholarships will allow the candidate to attend the University of Kentucky at the in-state tuition rate.

In cases where graduate programs charge a differential tuition rate, the Graduate School will pay the standard graduate tuition rate only.

In order to be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant must have achieved:

For more information, go to <>.

Student Support

Funds are available to students enrolled in graduate programs for assistance with expenses relating to dissertation or thesis research as well as for travel to present research at professional meetings. Students should check with the Graduate School Fellowship Office regarding application materials for student support or go to the Web at <>.

Students should consult with the Director of Graduate Studies in the department they seek to enter for information regarding nomination for other research support funds that may be available from the Graduate School.

Student Loans

U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens may apply for federally supported loans and work-study assistance. To be considered, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available in the UK Student Financial Aid Office, 128 Funkhouser Building, Lexington, KY 40506-0054, (859) 257-3172, fax (859) 257-4398. Students may also apply online at, or go to

Health Services

University Health Service

The convenience of an on-campus health care facility, a low-cost prepaid plan for outpatient services, and a student group health insurance plan are designed to make UK's total health plan attractive and economical for graduate and professional students, both full-time and part-time.

All full-time students must pay the student health fee in fall and spring semesters which entitles them to medical and mental health care at the University Health Service. For students who attend either of the summer sessions, the health fee is optional.

Part-time students may prepay the student health fee or may use the health service on a fee-for-service basis; the health fee may be paid at the Student Billing Office.

The University Health Service is located in the Kentucky Clinic across Rose Street from the University Hospital. All visits are made by appointment [(859) 323-2778]. The clinic is staffed by physicians, nurse practitioners, psychiatrists, and other health professionals. Spouses of eligible students are eligible to receive their primary care at the University Health Service. They are charged for all services rendered. Children and other family members are not eligible.

Services covered by the health fee include: unlimited visits to clinicians for illness or injury, routine laboratory services and x-rays ordered by the health service clinician as part of evaluation for an illness or injury, some medications, allergy shots and immunizations, and visits to the professionals in the Mental Health Service. For additional information, contact the University Health Service at (859) 323-5823.

Health Insurance

Services related to hospitalization, surgical procedures, accident care, and any other health care provided outside the University Health Service, are not covered by the health fee. The University of Kentucky strongly endorses the belief that students should have health insurance, either provided by their parents' policy or by an independent insurance company. The University, including the University Hospital, assumes no responsibility for a student's medical expenses.

Health Insurance Requirement for International Students

The University of Kentucky has a mandatory health insurance program for all international students. International students who are in F-1 and J-1 visa status will be charged for the health insurance plan along with their tuition and fees. Students who have purchased health insurance in their home countries or who are covered as a dependent on a U.S. plan may be eligible for a waiver. J-2 dependents who enroll in classes will be charged for the health insurance along with their tuition and fees. International students on a J-1 or F-1 visa are required to purchase health insurance for all of their dependents. International students with questions about health insurance should contact the health insurance coordinator in the Office of International Affairs at (859) 257-4067 ext. 238.

Health Insurance Coverage for Graduate TAs, RAs, GAs and Institutional Fellowship Recipients

All full-time teaching, research, or graduate assistants, or full institutional fellowship recipients, are eligible for funded insurance and are automatically enrolled in the plan. Students must also be degree-seeking and enrolled in the Graduate School to be eligible for funded student insurance. Coverage is provided at no cost to eligible graduate students. For more information, call the Graduate School Fellowship Office at (859) 257-3261 and ask for the insurance coordinator.

Student Group Insurance Plan

The student insurance plan is a preferred provider organization (PPO), and UK Hospital and UK College of Medicine physicians are the preferred providers. When receiving treatment away from UK, you can expect significantly higher out-of-pocket costs. Additionally, the plan is an illness and injury plan only; it does not provide for preventive care or coverage of treatment in the absence of illness or injury, except as specifically provided in the policy.

The annual policy provides year-round coverage. Students may also purchase coverage for their spouse and/or children.

The premium may be paid annually, semi-annually, or quarterly by check, Visa, or MasterCard. Student enrollment may be continued from one year to the next by reenrolling within 14 days from the enrollment date. Although students are encouraged to enroll at the beginning of the school year, enrollment is available throughout the policy year.

Health insurance information packets for the upcoming school year are available in mid-July at the University Health Services. For further information and enrollment dates, call (859) 323-5823, ext. 230.

The current insurance plan is underwritten by the MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company.

Student ID Card (UKID)

All students admitted to the University (both full-time and part-time) are expected to obtain a student ID card (UKID). This is a permanent card, which becomes valid each semester when fees are paid. The first ID card is provided without cost.

Students who lose their UKID should report the loss immediately to the UKID Office (257-1378), the Diner/Plus Account Office (257-6159), or any Food Service location. The UKID is the property of the University of Kentucky and is to be returned to the Dean of Students upon termination of student status.

Counseling and Testing Center

The University Counseling and Testing Center has a staff of licensed psychologists whose primary function is to address the emotional/psychological issues of both undergraduate and graduate students. Some typical concerns of graduate students include feelings of depression, anxiety, stress due to the demands of graduate school, quality of interpersonal relationships, loneliness and isolation, grief, time management, refinement of critical thinking skills, career and life planning, and other issues of a personal nature.

All counseling sessions are free, voluntary, and confidential. The services are available by appointment to fee-paying students enrolled for at least six semester hours. Graduate students enrolled for thesis or dissertation hours also are eligible

In addition to counseling with individual students, the Center offers couples (significant others) and group counseling. General counseling groups are ongoing and reconstituted each semester. Participants work on a variety of issues. There are also special focus groups such as Bridges (a support group for graduate African-American women), an eating disorders group, and a discussion group for LD/ADHD.

Appointments and further information may be obtained by calling (859) 257-8701 or by coming to the Center, 301 Frazee Hall

Disability Services

Students with disabilities should call or stop by the Disability Resource Center, 2 Alumni Gym, or call (859) 257-2754. The staff will assist students with information about accessible parking, bus services, and/or special needs.


The UK Apartment Housing Office operates apartments for single graduate students and student families. The apartments are rented on a 12-month lease agreement basis. For more information, contact UK Graduate and Family Housing, 700 Woodland Ave., Lexington, KY 40508; (859) 257-3721; e-mail; or see

The Graduate School | UK Research | University of Kentucky | An Equal Opportunity University