UK Staff & Faculty News - October 2009
October is Work-Life Month!
Free Work-Life Luncheons, Workshops Focus on Career, Family and Well-Being. You are invited to take part in UK's October celebration of National Work and Family Month! Check out more than 20 special workshops on topics ranging from career development and retirement planning to wellness, parenting and more.
Special events also include:
- New Rules of Investing Luncheon: Learn the six new principles for planning a safe and secure retirement.
- Work-Life resource fair with keynote address by William B. Irvine, Ph.D., on "A Guide to the Good Life." Check out our resource fair for the full array of free services available to UK staff and faculty.
Healthy Dinners on a Budget from UK Health & Wellness
Enjoy five healthy meals for a family of four, each for less than $10. Click here for recipes and shopping list.
- Monday: Vegetable Lasagna
- Tuesday: Fiesta Chicken and Rice
- Wednesday: Chick Pea and Tomato Curry
- Thursday: Baked Tilapia with Corn and Tomatoes
- Friday: Easy Tortellini with Edamame and Smoked Sausage
UK Receives Award for its Commitment to Employee Health
The University of Kentucky has been recognized by the American Heart Association as a Start! Fit-Friendly Company. The award is given to employers who go above and beyond when it comes to their employees' health and demonstrate a commitment to promoting exercise and good nutrition in the workplace.
UK was awarded Gold Level recognition for companies that fulfill criteria such as offering employees physical activity support, increasing healthy eating options at work, and promoting a wellness culture. UK was one of only four companies in Lexington to receive this recognition. For more information,
New Employee Assistance Program (Counseling Service): Work+Life Connections
Did you know you have a free counseling service available to you? Work+Life Connections is a free, voluntary, confidential benefit. Employees are eligible for up to five consultations per year. These consultations may be individual or involve a spouse, sponsored dependent or other family member. Visit the Web site for eligibility requirements and more information.
On-Demand" Departmental Presentations
Want to know how you can protect your financial future through these challenging times? UK Benefits is pleased to offer new "on demand" departmental presentations on this and other timely topics. Click here for details.
Free Career Development Events and Services
The University recently launched UK Career Development to offer employees resources for professional growth. CD even offers convenient online services: OptimalResume, Interview Mastery, and Career Innovation (an assessment to help you determine your ideal career path). To check out the schedule of upcoming events, get information on personalized resume/interview guidance and more, visit UK Career Development online.
Career Development Workshops
Workshops are held in 220 Scovell Hall, Suite 2 and begin at noon and last approximately 45 minutes.
- K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Strategies for Your UK Job Search, Oct. 23
- Interview Mastery, Oct. 29
For details, visit this page.
Join a CARE (Care Assistance Regarding Elders) Group, which meets the third Thursday each month - 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. in the Keeneland Room of the W.T. Young Library. Employees are welcome to bring their lunch. For a complete listing of Elder Care events, visit the Web site. For more information, call Elder Care at 323-4600.
Health & Wellness
- Become Health Smart and earn a free "Healthier at Home" book! Join us for Women's Health, presented by Lynn Jensen, M.D., Oct. 28, noon-1:00 p.m., 127 Wethington. Register online.
- Recharge! Lunch & Learn Series: Free lunchtime sessions geared toward keeping you healthy and well. Register online for: "Nutrition Mythbusters!" October 15, noon-1:00 p.m., Gallery Room, WT Young Library; and "Tis the season to De-Stress!" November 10, noon-1:00 p.m., Gallery Room, W.T. Young Library.
Making Home Affordable is a new federal program that gives up to 5 million homeowners, with loans owned or guaranteed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, an opportunity to refinance into more affordable monthly payments. The Home Affordable Modification Program commits $75 billion to keep up to 4 million Americans in their homes by preventing avoidable foreclosures. To read more about the program and take an easy quiz to see if you are eligible, click here.