UK Staff & Faculty News - November 2009
Jody Ensman Named Work-Life Supervisor of the Year
Jody Ensman, UK Health & Wellness Program Manager, was named the Work-Life Supervisor of the Year. The award is given to one supervisor each year who is highly regarded by his or her employees for consistently supporting the work-life needs of employees. Read more. Click here to learn more..
Healthier Holiday Eating -- Bonus Recipes!
It's that time of year again when an endless parade of office potlucks and holiday get-togethers make healthful eating seem like an impossible goal. But it doesn't have to be. It's possible to enjoy your favorite holiday foods without packing on the pounds. Here are some tried-and-true strategies:
- It's not really about what you eat, but how much you eat. It's okay to have your favorite foods, just keep your portions small.
- Think about what you're eating before you put it in your mouth. Do you really want it? Is it a special food you can only have this time of year? This will cut down on "mindless eating." Continue reading. Click here for BONUS Extreme Makeover Holiday Recipes.
Tobacco-Free UK November 19!
Beginning Nov. 19, the tobacco-free policy prohibits the use of all tobacco products on campus (cigarettes, chew, pipes, cigars, snuff, etc.) and applies to all areas of the contiguous UK campus in Lexington, indoors and out. UK is among more than 255 United States colleges and universities with tobacco-free policies for the entire campus, indoors and out. If you are interested in tobacco cessation, there are tobacco treatment resources available to UK employees and their spouses/sponsored dependents, including FREE Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) for eligible participants enrolled in applicable programs. For more information, click here.
Hiring Enhancement Program Free Training Events - for Supervisors/Hiring Officials
The hiring process can be overwhelming and time consuming. The goal of the Hiring Enhancement Program is to help hiring officials be as successful as possible in balancing time spent in this critical process and ensuring that they get the most qualified, best-fit candidate. Upcoming training topics include: Behavior Based Interviewing and Hiring Fundamentals/Effective Job Postings. Click here for details.
Enhance Your Skills with Free Professional Development and Technology Training
Training gives employees the ability to sharpen the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for personal and professional growth. Topics range from Adult Basic Literacy, Meet the Personal Computer, Basic and Intermediate Computer Skills over numerous topics, as well as Supervisory and University policy and procedures workshops. Other topics include Communication, Leadership, Team Building, Workplace Conflict Resolution. All training is FREE and open to all university employees. Click here for the schedule.
HR Holiday Schedule
HR offices in Scovell Hall as well as our HR Satellite office on South Limestone Street will be closed on Thanksgiving Day and the day after Thanksgiving (November 26-27). For complete details on HR holiday/bonus day office hours through the end of 2009, visit this page.
Career Development Workshops
Workshops are held in 220 Scovell Hall, Suite 2 and begin at noon and last approximately 45 minutes. Click here for more information.
- What UK Hiring Officials Would Like UK Staff Applicants to Know (Featuring a guest panel of UK Hiring Officials), Nov. 20
Elder Care: Family Caregivers Month
Introduction to Lotsa Helping Hands
Learn about a new UK Work-Life web site designed to assist caregivers as they coordinate care for loved ones of all ages. November 24, from Noon to 1 p.m. & 2 to 3 p.m., W.T. Young Library, Keeneland Room. To view a complete schedule and register click here. . For more information, call Elder Care at 323-4600.
Health & Wellness
- The UK Health & Wellness Program makes therapeutic chair massages available at various campus locations throughout the year. The next chair massage is December 7, at 3470 Blazer Parkway, Room 301, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. The cost is just $5 for 10 minutes or $10 for 20 minutes (no refunds). Reservations and advanced payment required. To make an appointment, call (859) 257-9355.
- Why procrastinate? Decide now to WIN AT LOSING with Biggest BLUE Loser, a 10-week weight loss competition. You'll have the support and tools you need to lose big. And remember: You now have an online class option as well. How much will you lose? There's only one way to find out. You must register for Biggest BLUE Loser by December 18! For more information, please visit the Web site. visit the Web site.