(Crisis Relief In Situations Involving Staff)
What is the C.R.I.S.I.S. Program?
The C.R.I.S.I.S. Program is in place to help University of Kentucky staff members that are experiencing personal hardship. This program provides temporary financial assistance in the form of a onetime payment of up to five hundred dollars. The program is self-sustaining through staff and faculty contributions to the program, by check-only donation or payroll deductions. All donations are non-tax-deductible and payroll deductions are not pre-tax.
How to Donate
There are two ways to donate to the C.R.I.S.I.S program:
1) Through payroll deduction - Enroll online through the Benefits and Payment section of myUK Employee Self-Service. Access the enrollment guide here. You can also print a Payroll Deduction Donation Form (pdf), complete, and submit to Human Resources. Be sure to indicate if it is a onetime or recurring payroll deduction.
2) By personal check - Print and complete the Check Donation Form (pdf) and submit the form along with your check payable to UK CRISIS Program to the Staff Senate Office.
To stop a recurring Payroll Deduction, complete the Stop Payroll Deduction Form (pdf) and submit to Human Resources.
Who is eligible to request assistance?
To be considered for assistance the staff employee must:
- be a regular staff employee (0.5 FTE or greater) and have a minimum of one (1) year of continuous employment at UK.
- meet one of the qualifying criteria (see below)
- submit application (pdf) and supporting documents to Work+Life Connections Coordinator, 155 Seaton Center, CAMPUS 0064.
Employment status shall be verified by the Coordinator. All personal information is strictly confidential and shall only be known to the Coordinator and C.R.I.S.I.S. Committee Chairperson.
If the application meets the criteria for assistance the Coordinator shall remove any identifying information and bring the request forward to the C.R.I.S.I.S. Committee for consideration.
Upon approval for assistance, the staff employee shall be notified and a receipt for the amount awarded shall be signed by the staff employee receiving the assistance, HR Benefits personnel, and the C.R.I.S.I.S. Committee Chairperson. Note: Amount awarded will be considered as taxable income to the staff employee. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that funds awarded from this program do not affect other forms of assistance.
Applications for assistance must be for immediate needs only. No previous or anticipated expenses shall be considered. Only one award per staff employee per a 12-month period shall be given. The amount awarded shall not exceed $500, and shall be distributed to the appropriate parties. Funds will not be given directly to employees.
To be considered for assistance from the C.R.I.S.I.S. Program the applicant must be a regular staff employee (0.5 FTE or greater), have a minimum of one (1) year of continuous employment at UK and meet one of the qualifying catastrophic events listed below:
- Threat of essential utilities being turned off, such as electric, water or gas.
- No pay status due to recovery from injury, illness, or surgery.
- No pay status due to caregiver responsibilities for a family member or sponsored dependent. HR definition of a family member/sponsored dependent: Spouse, Child, Grandchild, Mother/Father, Grandmother/Grandfather, Brother/Sister, Legal dependent of the employee, and another who resides in the employee's household and for whom the employee has an obligation to provide care. (Note - the above includes steps, halves and in-laws of the same relationship).
- Loss of dwelling or household furnishings due to fire, act of nature or eviction notice.
- A major unexpected expense
Dishonesty in regards to this program shall result in the automatic denial of assistance.