Monthly Message from the Work-Life Director
May Greetings from the Director
Summertime Flex Schedules
As summer approaches, many of us have to readjust our work and life schedules. Recently I overheard conversations of employees reprioritizing their work-related responsibilities to accommodate the decrease in students and clients on campus. At the same time, many of us must focus attention on family, as we prepare for our children being out of school.
The Work-Life Office has a variety of resources available to help as you plan your summer.
- The Reduced Seasonal Hours Program allows employees the option of temporarily reducing their time or taking a leave of absence from May 4 to August 15. Reduced work loads application forms must be approved by the supervisor. Last year, nearly 60 employees participated in the program, with the majority reducing their work by 8 hours each week. For more information and details about participating in this program, visit http://www.uky.edu/HR/WorkLife/ReducedSeasonalHours.html
- If you are trying to navigate the maze of information about Summer Camps, visit our Parenting and Child Care information page. We have provided a link to a comprehensive listing of summer camps. Visit http://www.uky.edu/HR/WorkLife/childcare.html to learn more. In addition, our Work-Life specialists can talk to you about the different types of camps available and assist you in finding resources to accommodate your child care needs.
- Are you looking for low-cost or no-cost ways to help your children maintain their academic skills throughout the summer? The final session in the Spring Lunch and Learn Parenting Series, No Stress Summer Study Activities, may be able to provide the information you need. There are still openings so register today at http://www.uky.edu/HR/WorkLife/Spring_2009_Lunch_and_Learn_Series.html
- Do you find yourself feeling more stress in your caregiving roles during the summer months? If so, you may find attending one of our support groups helpful. We offer support groups for Working Mothers, Parents of Tweens and Teenagers, and those providing care for elders. Learn more about these groups find out when they meet by visiting Work-Life Events at http://www.uky.edu/HR/WorkLife/events.html.
- Finally, donít forget about UKís Flexible Work Arrangement Guidelines. Think in terms of flex time, compressed work week, or telecommuting one day a week to meet your summertime needs. Depending upon how, when and where you work, I encourage you to change your routine a bit to coincide with the changes in summer. Learn more about the options available to you at http://www.uky.edu/HR/WorkLife/toolkits.html.