University of Kentucky Reduced Seasonal Hours Program
February 13, 2013 - In recognition of the diverse needs of our employees, the University of Kentucky is pleased to once again offer a voluntary Reduced Seasonal Hours Program to its regular, full-time staff members (the program was introduced in 2008). The 2013 Reduced Seasonal Hours Program will be offered from from January 3, 2013 - February 2, 2013, and then again from May 12, 2013 - August 17, 2013. (It is recommended that employees begin their reduction of hours at the beginning of a pay period).
This alternative flexible offering will allow those who would like to reduce their schedules during the winter or summer months the ability to do so. This program provides employees more flexibility and serves as a potential cost-saving solution for the University.
You will find more information about the program through the following resources:
- Reduced Summer Hours Application (pdf) - Employees who would like to participate in the Summer Reduced Hours program should complete and submit this application.
- Reduced Winter Hours Application (pdf) - Employees who would like to participate in the Winter Reduced Hours program should complete and submit this application.
- Reduced Seasonal Hours Program Guidelines - Employees and managers should review these program guidelines before requesting or implementing reduced hours.
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions About Seasonal Hours - This document provides answers to frequently asked questions about reduced seasonal work schedules. Our FAQ
- Approval Process - Requests and approvals for reduced summer hours will be made within each department or unit. Interested employees should complete appropriate Reduced Seasonal Hours Application: Winter (pdf) or Summer (pdf), obtain approvals from the appropriate area senior leader, and send the completed approval form to their business officer. A copy should be forwarded to the Office of Work-Life at 106 Scovell Hall 40506-0064.
Regular, full-time staff members may request one of two options for reducing their hours (with a proportional reduction in pay) during the summer and/or winter months:
Option One: Reduced Work Schedule
Regular staff members with a full-time equivalent (FTE) of greater than 0.75 may request a temporary reduced work schedule to no less than 0.75 FTE.
(example scenarios listed in the table below).
|Current FTE||Current Hours Worked Per Week||Reduced FTE||New Hours Worked Per Week|
Option Two: Leave without Pay.
Regular staff members with a full-time equivalent (FTE) of 0.75 or greater may request leave without pay. Requests for leave without pay must be made in full-week increments.
Should you have questions regarding the voluntary Reduced Seasonal Hours Program, you may contact the Office of Work-Life at (859) 257-8763 or the Office of Employee Relations at (859) 257-8758.