Staff Shared Leave Pool Program
Donate to the Staff Shared Leave Pool starting May 1.
Please act now: Donations accepted for a limited time only.
Thank you for your interest in making a difference in the lives of our UK colleagues! Because it will help our own co-workers - who are also our neighbors and friends - facing tough times, your gift of accrued vacation leave will make an impact that truly is close to home. Your gift will go directly to help a college or administrative unit employee who has otherwise exhausted leave because of their own illness or injury or that of a loved one.
With our new online donation form, it's easier than ever for you to support the Staff Shared Leave Pool.
- For the first time, annual donations may now be made in half-day, as well as full-day, increments (see form for details).
We are pleased to announce a new, extended donation period, which takes place May 1 - September 30.
- Campus employees who wish to donate vacation time otherwise subject to loss June 30 must submit a donation form to donate that time on or before June 25.
- UK HealthCare employees who wish to donate vacation leave otherwise be subject to loss September 30 must submit a donation form to donate that time on or before September 30.
Shared Leave Pool Overview
The Staff Shared Leave Pool is a pool of donated Vacation Leave (VL) time, which can be used by a staff employee who has exhausted all accrued paid leaves because of illness or injury affecting themselves or their family members. Regular University of Kentucky staff employees with a 0.5 FTE (50% assignment) or greater can donate up to five days of Vacation Leave per year to the pool.
VL issued through this program is subject to available VL balances in the Pool. If the available VL balance in the Shared Leave Pool is zero, VL from the Pool will not be awarded.
Staff Shared Leave Pool Donations - Donate Today!
You may submit Shared Leave Pool donations during the annual donation period. Staff employees may donate up to 10 vacation days per year (in full or half-day increments). Donations of VL to the Shared Leave Pool are irrevocable and cannot be designated for use by a particular person.
To donate leave: Complete a Shared Leave donation form:
Printer-friendly PDF form (submit it to the Human Resources Office of Employee Relations, 213 Scovell Hall, 0064, fax: (859) 257-2493).
Upon approval of a donation, the Pool Administrator will credit the Shared Leave Pool with the VL contributed by a staff employee and deduct the same amount from that staff employee's accrued VL quota. For questions, contact:
Office of Employee Relations
213 Scovell Hall
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506-0064
Applying for Shared Leave Pool Benefits
An employee is eligible to apply for benefits from the Shared Leave Pool if the employee meets all of the following criteria:
- Holds a regular staff position of 0.5 FTE or greater with the University of Kentucky,
- Has successfully completed the new employee orientation period,
- Has incurred a catastrophic illness or injury to themselves or is caring for a spouse, sponsored-dependent, or child who has incurred a catastrophic illness or injury, and
- Has exhausted or will be exhausting all accrued paid leaves.
Faculty eligible to receive faculty leave benefits while serving in administrative positions are not eligible to participate in this program.
To request leave:
- Check that you meet eligibility requirements.
- Complete and submit an application (pdf).