Sample Submitted Suggestions
- Lease first floor of Boone Center Faculty Club to quality restaurant, renovate to suit, and charge for utilities; construct a second story for large conference room/meeting areas.
- E-bay type auction site for UK Surplus items could broaden exposure and increase revenue
- Make “last day to add” and “last day to drop” a class the same day; would fill classes.
- Create and rent patient family sleeping quarters when new UK Hospital Bed Tower is complete
- Expand UK’s online degree program to U of Phoenix level
- Conduct a clinical trial of Kleenex brand antibacterial tissues at UK Hospital.
- Grow and sell hay on unused UK farm land.
- Allow employees to purchase additional vacation time
- Sell UK Identification badge reels at UK hospital
- Before sending equipment/furniture/office supply items to Surplus, use http://notes.crms.uky.edu/bigbluetransfer.nsf to make items available to other UK departments
- Stop printing payroll stubs
- Make cash transmittal, DAV and JAV process electronic
- Control access to office supply cabinet/closet will reduce office supply pilfering
- Set default to “fast-draft” print to reduce inkjet cartridge/toner use.
- Save paper. Use 2-sided printing option; print draft copies on scrap paper; reduce fonts; require vendors to upgrade new software systems to conserve paper use (example: consumer prescription info, patient information sheets)
- Ask recipients to turn name-badge holders in after event
- Have UK’s designers provide sample pallets of color coordinated paint, trim and carpet schemes for departments making renovation decisions. (ADOPTED)
- Quarterly survey departments for unused phone and computer lines, disconnect
- Replacing some land-lines with cell-phones may reduce departmental costs
- Provide tools to help UK travelers make better use of UK’s tax exempt status when making UK purchases while traveling
- Frequent Flyer miles should accrue to UK if flight is authorized UK travel
- Maximize use of electronic conferencing for district meetings, saving time and travel costs
- Install “scrub” uniform dispensing machine to reduce uniform loss/theft
- Replace paper version of UK News with electronic version; send Microsoft Access reports, employee open-enrollment benefit package, and all UK newsletters/magazines electronically
- Establish policy/procedure to require mass e-mails to faculty/staff be authorized, collected and edited by UK Public Relations, and “sent” by them only once a week.
- Provide web casts of all important UK ceremonies
- Authorize use of electronic UK letterhead
- Standardize academic course website URLs
- Add US postal domestic mail-meter cards to UK Forms electronic version (ADOPTED)
- Convert UK History video to online version and make available to all new employees (ADOPTED)
NOTE: Anytime temperature in work area is too hot/cold, or there are leaks, drips, or other building maintenance/energy-loss problems, any employee may report it at once to PPD’s work control center (Campus 257-3844, Medical Center 233-6281)
- Turn out lights when leaving rooms/classrooms; install motion sensors, reminder stickers, etc.
- Install energy efficient light fixtures throughout campus
- Modify UK vehicles for use of bio-fuels, hydrogen, etc.
- “Vending Miser” attachment on refrigerated vending machines will significantly reduce energy consumed during periods of non-use
- Upgrade old Medical Center power plants when expanding to reduce future energy costs
- Set computer so it defaults to “sleep” mode after 10 min. of non-use
- Increase summer indoor temp. in all buildings
Parking and Transportation
- Expand employee carpooling/mass-transportation/alternative options and incentives
- Install system to count number of cars entering structures and display signs when lots/structures are full
- Consider future use of monorails/moving sidewalks to enhance transport from outer parking areas
- Reduce UK Hospital parking structure abuse by implementing plan similar to that implemented for Ky. Clinic garage
- Improve 911 emergency response time; create and post specific street addresses for all UK buildings
- Provide mediators, conflict management training, etc., to reduce workplace conflict.
- Reduce wheelchair theft via sensors, alarms, welded attachments; Install electronic/keyless building entry systems, security web-cams, etc. in buildings, parking and other key areas
- Install caution signage, alter landscape, add traffic calming methods for better pedestrian safety (ADOPTED)
- Pre-punched holes at top of IV cover bags will reduce risk of accidental punctures and hazardous spills (ADOPTED)
- Separate lactation station and IV-preparation areas at NICU (ADOPTED)
- Reduce frequency of printing a particular FRS report (ADOPTED)
- Have department managers formally recognize/reward employee perfect attendance annually
- Quarterly collaboration among all UK conference planning units may yield helpful tips for savings, excellence
- Modify purchasing requirement for sole-source purchasing for UK Library (ADOPTED)
- Streamline agency referral process via modifications in Patient and Family Services department (ADOPTED)
- Sponsor a “wheelchair roundup” day once a month, gathering and returning wheelchairs to proper Hospital/Clinic units
- Pocket multi-meter tool might improve efficiency for PPD building operators
- Amend HR policy to allow transfer of unused Employee Education Credits to employee’s family members
- Allow Make The Difference award recipients to designate their award to charity
- Have UK mail center send mass mailed copies in bundles (no individual names on mailing labels) to departments so units won’t have to sort each piece individually
- Add volume control device to customer courtesy phones at Ky. Clinic and Student Center visitor desks to help hearing impaired users. (ADOPTED)
- Covered entrances to buildings improve appearance and functionality
- Maps/directional signs needed at key locations (hospital, clinics, parking structures)
- Drive-thru satellite pharmacy would aid Markey Cancer Center patients and others
- Rent hand-held GPS campus maps to campus visitors
- HR Division uniform shirt could aid in promoting UK as employer (ADOPTED)
- Cross-train department staff to resolve minor computer problems
- Modify HR policy to allow flexibility in semester use of employee education credits (ADOPTED)
- Provide a “Quiet Room” for staff use in UK Hospital/Ky. Clinic for relaxation/stress reduction