Human Resources Policy and Procedure
Number 80.0: Vacation Leave
The University provides vacation with pay to any regular staff employee with a full-time equivalent (FTE) of 0.5 or greater. Vacations are to be scheduled at times that are convenient to the department and with consideration of the employee’s preference.
Note: The University encourages an employee to schedule at least five days of vacation leave consecutively, resulting in at least one full week of meaningful time off.
Regular full-time employees in the following groups and employed on or after 07/01/83 are provided annual vacation allowances as follows.
1) Any administrative and professional staff employee earns vacation as follows:
2) Any office and clerical, service and maintenance or technical and scientific staff employee earns vacation as follows:
Note: The accrual rate is based on the established FTE for the position compared to the departmental normal work week. In cases where the scheduled work week is not consistent throughout the year, the pro rata percentage to full-time shall be calculated on an annualized basis.
3) Any regular employee with an assignment of 0.5 FTE or greater and employed before 07/01/83 shall receive vacation leave in accordance with the policy in effect at the time of that employee’s employment as long as that employee has not been involved in a personnel action (i.e. promotion, demotion, transfer etc.).
1) The department head or designee shall be responsible for scheduling vacations to allow for adequate staffing to meet the departmental work load. This scheduling may specify periods during which some or all employees may not take vacation leave.
2) The department head or designee shall be responsible for accurately reporting vacation leave usage. The official record for vacation leave balances will be maintained in the University’s centralized resource information system. These records shall be available for review by the employee, the Associate Vice President of Human Resources, the Human Resources Office of Employee Relations, or other authorized University officials.
Accrual and Recording
1) The vacation allowance shall be accrued on the basis of either one-twelfth of the annual allowance per month for monthly employees or one-twenty sixth of the annual allowance per pay period for bi-weekly employees.
Use of Vacation Leave
1) Vacation requests shall be approved in advance by the department head or designee.
2) Vacation leave may only be used after it has been accrued and must be taken in no less than 15 minute increments.
Disposition of Unused Vacation Leave
An employee shall forfeit vacation leave accrued and available June 30 of every year, if the vacation leave is not used by June 30 of the following calendar year. This allows 12 months following the close of any fiscal year for use of any balance.
Previous Version (Revision Date - 08/22/07)