The goal of Health Smart is to help you make informed choices about your health and your family's health such as when to seek professional medical care or treat an ailment or injury at home. Become Health Smart and earn a free book! Join us for FREE monthly sessions aimed at helping you take part in a healthier YOU. Feel free to bring your lunch.
NEW! Can't make it to a Conversation? No problem. We will be live-streaming! Click here and login as a Guest. You'll be able to hear the speaker and see the PowerPoint. You may also interact by typing in your questions, and we'll relay them to the speaker. Problems with Adobe Connect? Click here.
Click here to view videos and PowerPoint presentations from past Conversations.
NEW! "Respect Works: Healthy Relationships at Home, Work, and Play," presented by Melanie Matson, M.A., UK Violence Intervention and Prevention Center. View the
Please note: If this is your first time using the registration system, you
must create an account. Once you do, you will be able to log in and register for
future events and programs. Click here for
detailed instructions (PDF).
- "Train Hard, Recover Harder - How Proper Recovery Improves Exercise Performance," presented by Trent Salo, CSCS, ACSM-HFS, FMS, Personal Trainer. View PowerPoint (pdf). Video.
- "Prescription Drug Abuse Awareness in All Stages of Life," presented by Dr. Ryan Stanton, Director of Emergency Medicine, UK HealthCare Good Samaritan Hospital. View the PowerPoint Presentation (PDF). View the video.
- "Making Healthy Choices for a Lifetime: Let’s Get Fired Up!", presented by Ingrid Adams PhD, RD, LD, UK Department of Nutrition and Food Science. Click here for the video, handouts, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Holiday Meals: Creating Healthier Traditions," presented by Cindy Caywood, MS, RD, LD: PowerPoint Presentation. Recipe Packet. Lower Calorie Holiday Menu Example.
- Mindful Parenting: Everyday Connection & Calmness: View the PowerPoint Presentation and handout. View video of the entire presentation here.
- The Inner Life of Optimists: Habits, Happiness, and Health, presented by Suzanne
Segerstrom, PhD: View the PowerPoint Presentation (PDF). Video of presentation.
- Saving Time in the Kitchen: Quick and Healthy Eating, presented by Helen Moseley, MS, RD, LD, CHES. View the PowerPoint (PDF). Handout 1. Meal plan and shopping list handout.
- Living with Understanding: The Real Scoop on Depression in Older Adults, presented by Phyllis Culp, RN, MSW. Video of
full presentation. PowerPoint.
- Fitting in Physical Fitness presented by Carrie Davidson, ACSM HFS: PowerPoint Presentation. Brief video.
For more presentations, visit the archive.
Opening a PDF requires Adobe Reader. Don't have it? Download the free software here.
|Those who attend will receive a free "Healthier at Home" book!|
Another way to get your FREE "Healthier at Home" book
- Click here to watch a brief video introducing the "Healthier at Home" self-care guide. Learn how the book can help you make informed choices about your health and your family's health. If you already have a book, follow along for a quick tutorial. If not, be sure to complete the quiz after watching the video to earn your book!
"Healthier at Home," published by the American Institute of Preventive Medicine, is the most comprehensive self-care book available. It is the proven guide to self-care and being a wise health consumer. The book is presented in an easy-to-read, step-by-step format, and provides up-to-date information on over 300 self-care topics. It instantly turns your bookshelf into a health information center. You can become the head of your family's medical team. This book comes in full-color text with over 325 illustrations and photographs.
Please note: If you already received a "Healthier at Home" book, you are NOT eligible to receive another book.
Only University of Kentucky employees, retirees, spouses, and sponsored dependents are eligible for UK Health & Wellness services and programs.