Useful Links *
These are a few of our favorite links:
- Apps Approved by UK Health & Wellness
- Best of the Web: Yoga
- Big Blue CrossFit
- Basic Cooking Skills Videos (American Heart Association)
- Calorie King for Food Awareness (Use the free database to search for nutrition information on thousands of foods.)
- Centers for Disease Control
- Center for Science in the Public Interest (Publishers of the "Nutrition Action Newsletter.")
- Cooking classes in the Lexington area:
- The Daily Plate (An easy, free way to track what you're eating and more.)
- Devin Alexander Healthy Decadence Recipes (Discovery Health)
- Happy Rambles will send you an email each day asking you what you are grateful for. Reply with your list of 3-5 items, and the site will store than in your personal account.
- Happy Tapper is simple smartphone app that will allow you to write a few things down each day and store them right on your phone. You can also attach pictures and rate your day overall.
- Live Happy is another well-designed app with a few bells and whistles. Take photos and rate your day.
- Guided Imagery: Free podcasts from Kaiser Permanente. Listen and/or download meditations on topics such as headaches, healthy heart, pain, relaxation, and tobacco cessation.
- Free fitness videos ("Spark People" workouts that you can do at home or in the office with little to no equipment.)
- Frugal Village (Ways to live simply and save money.)
- Gaiam Life Meditation Rooms (Step into a Gaiam Life Meditation Room for a few minutes to calm your senses and melt away stress.)
- Guided Meditation Site
- Inner Health Studio (Variety of relaxation techniques.)
- Kentucky Health Facts is sponsored by the Foundation for a Healthy Kentucky. The aim of this website, begun as part of the Foundation’s Local Data for Local Action initiative, is to provide ready access to key health data for Kentucky communities. Our hope is that communities will use this data to identify local needs, to motivate change, to guide planning efforts, and to take meaningful, positive action toward improved health.
- Lexington Farmers Market
- Two-Minute Stress Escape
- The Mayo Clinic
- My Yoga Online (There is a fee for videos, but poses, benefits, and more can be viewed for free.)
- StressStop - 50 Signs and Symptoms of Stress
- Treadmill Desk Workstation Information
- Trail Shape is a free program of the Kentucky State Parks that will inspire you to discover amazing Kentucky sights while getting fit all at the same time.
- Two Foods (A simple way to compare the calories, carbs, fat and protein of two food choices and see the results side by side.)
- The UK Ovarian Cancer Screening Program provides free annual ultrasound screening in Lexington with outreach screening in Prestonsburg, Elizabethtown, Maysville, Somerset & Paducah. Click here more information and to find out how to make an appointment.
- The UK HealthCare Pediatric High BMI Diagnostic Clinic serves children between the ages of 2 and 18 years who are overweight or obese with a BMI above the 85th percentile for their age and sex. A referral by a health care provider is required to schedule an appointment.
- Vertex42 - Free downalodable Excel spreadsheets. Check out the exercise logs, food diaries, meal planners, weight loss trackers and more!
- Walking on Campus Information
- Yoga Journal
- Yoga Muscle video (UK Campus Rec)
There are numerous walking resources on the Web. Here are a few of our favorites:
- About.com: Walking (Walking programs for weight loss, printable walking logs and more)
- AOL Health: Walking (Tips for beginners, walking checklist and more)
- G-Map (Map your own walking routes and get the distances and calculate how many calories you will burn on the route.)
- Map My Walk allows you to map the distance of any route in Lexington (or other cities). The site offers a free membership and a paid membership. Mapping a walking route is free.
- MyStart! Online is an easy way to track your physical activity and nutrition intake.
Events of Interest
*WARNING: Some Web sites to which these materials provide links for the convenience of users are not managed by the University of Kentucky. The University does not review, control, or take responsibility for the contents of those sites.