- NEW! Read success stories of 2013 Biggest BLUE Losers!
- NEW! Read Suzan Nunn's WLM success story
- What is Weight Loss Matters?
- How does the online option work?
- When and where are classes held?
- When can new participants join?
- How do I sign up?
About Weight Loss Matters
Weight Loss Matters (WLM) is a 10-week weight-loss program for UK employees, retirees, spouses, and sponsored dependents. WLM allows you to set your own goals, then work toward meeting those goals with the help of our registered dietitians. Classes meet once a week in person or online (Click here for days and times). The initial fee is $50, and participants can re-join subsequent sessions for free as long as they make progress toward their weight-loss goal for each 10-week period.
- 79% of Weight Loss Matters participants who completed a 10-week cycle
pre-determined weight loss goals.
- Average weight loss per 10-week cycle is 5.56 pounds per participant.
- Join so you can become our next success story:
Read BBL male winner Eric Larson's success story.
- A weight loss program that teaches you how to eat, rather than how to diet
- A focus on long-term behavior change
- The expertise of registered dietitians
- Group support for your weight loss goals
- Weekly weigh-ins and educational seminars
- Ten-week cycles of classes, with new topics each cycle
- The option to continue every 10 weeks for free as long as you make progress
- You setting your own weight loss goals (within reason!)
- A meal pattern calculated just for you (includes a daily calorie level and general outline for how many foods to eat from each food group)
- A quick fix
- A rigid meal plan – you will have the flexibility to decide what specific foods to eat each day
- Daily menus that take the “guesswork” out of losing weight – you will decide when and what to eat throughout the day and adapt the meal pattern to your lifestyle
- “Off-limits” foods – this program allows you to “fit all foods”
In-person classes meet on Tuesdays.
Tuesday lunch-time session:
102 Mining & Minerals Building
Tuesday evening session:
511 Nursing Building
Wednesday, noon to 1 p.m.
(Or you will have the ability to watch a recording of any meeting that you miss at a time that is convenient for you.)
Parking in the Kentucky Clinic parking garage will be available to Weight Loss Matters participants at the "patient rate" of 75 cents an hour PROVIDED you bring your parking ticket to us and get it stamped. If you do not bring in your parking ticket, parking will cost $10 for the first hour and $5 for every additional hour up to a maximum of $25.
How does the online option work? The online Weight Loss Matters class offers a live, online weekly meeting each Wednesday, from noon to 1 p.m. This is your chance to interact with our instructors and other participants. Participants will receive access to the class website that houses all of the resources you'll need, including weekly handouts and announcements, as well as video recordings of the online meetings. You will be able to submit your weekly weight and your food diaries online.
Do I need special software or equipment?
The only equipment you need is a computer with speakers and an internet connection.
What if I cannot attend the live online class?
Don’t worry! You will have the ability to watch a recording of any meeting that you miss at a time that is convenient for you!
New participants can begin approximately every five weeks.
New in-person classes begin:
1. Decide what class time and location is right for you.
3. That's it! You will receive your meal plan and Weight Loss Matters binder at the first class.
How much it cost and how do I pay?
The cost is $50 for initial registration.
To pay with check or cash: Please make checks payable to UK Health & Wellness. If paying with cash, please bring exact amount to the main office, 116A Seaton Center. Change may not be available.
To pay with credit/debit: We accept Visa and MasterCard debit/credit cardsl; and Discover and American Express credit card payments. Click here to pay online.
this is your first time using the Sign-Up-For-It system, you must create an account. Once
you do, you will be able to log in and register for future events and programs. Click here for detailed instructions
*Only University of Kentucky employees, retirees, spouses, and sponsored dependents are eligible for UK Health & Wellness services and programs. Central Kentucky Medical Services (CKMS) employees are also eligible.
Are you making good health pay with the UK Healthtrac Rewards Program? If not, get started now.