Available Employment Opportunities in Residence Life
Applications currently being accepted.
How to Apply
To apply for an R.A. position, submit a UK Online Application (with cover letter & resume) at http://www.uky.edu/HR/UK jobs/. Search for the job title "Desk Clerk" and follow the instructions for applying. Be sure to attach a cover letter and resume to your online application.
Upon offer of employment, successful applicants must undergo a national background check as required by UK Human Resources
Desk Clerks staff the main front desk area of a residence hall. Their role is to facilitate the promotion of a safe, positive living and learning environment for the students who live there. Desk Clerks primarily cover the residence hall front desk from midnight until 7:30 or 8:00 am. Some afternoon and evening hours may also be available in the residence halls. Desk Clerks must display a professional, attentive, friendly, helpful attitude while working. Desk Clerks are undergraduate students and are supervised jointly by the Hall Director and the Desk Clerk Coordinator. Specific expectations include:
- Enforce the Visitation Policy, which requires accurate and consistent practice of requiring picture ID from visitors and requiring that guests be escorted by their hosts at all times.
- Convey accurate information to individuals requesting assistance over the telephone or in person.
- Maintain a neat and professional atmosphere in the front desk area.
- Make sure scheduled shift is covered if unable to work it.
- Contact the appropriate personnel in case of a crisis or emergency.
- Monitor the front desk and lobby area for unacceptable behavior and communicate any problems or policy violations to the Hall Director or other Residence Life staff in the facility.
- Attend regular meetings or training sessions as scheduled by the Desk Clerk Coordinator.
- Complete additional duties as assigned the Hall Director or Desk Clerk Coordinator.
- Must be a full-time student, in good academic standing, at UK or BCTC.
- Be in good disciplinary standing with the University when hired and while employed.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.0 when hired and while employed.
Desk Clerks are currently paid $7.25 per hour. Other benefit for the Desk Clerk position include:
- On-the-job training prior to beginning work
- Opportunity to work within your own residence hall
- Flexible hours