About the Engineering Residential College
The Engineering Residential College (ERC) is an opportunity for first year students who are passionate about pursuing a career in engineering or computer sciences. This residential experience complements the classroom expectations by integrating students into the Engineering Community with programs centered on professional development and enhancement. In addition, ERC provides students with opportunities to interact with College of Engineering Deans and Faculty, alumni representatives from the industry, advisors, and a live-in engineering graduate student, who helps students meet the academic expectations of the engineering program and excel in academic excellence.
The Engineering Residential College is looking for first year students who are pursuing a major within the College of Engineering. Majors include:
- Bio systems Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
Through participation in the Engineering Residential College, a student will develop the following:
- The ability to express confidence in their ability to successfully transition from high school to the academic rigors of college life as an Engineering student.
- Engineering LLP students will be retained, at UK and in the College of Engineering, at a higher rate than average.
- Residents of the ERC will incorporate Engineering and Computer Science into their collegiate identity as a result of connections built in the Residential College.
- Residents of the ERC will develop leadership skills through participation in educational programs, hall government, and peer mentor roles.
- Residents of the ERC will develop and use social skills which allow them to form connections with their peers and the broader community.
All students who are selected to participate in the Engineering Residential College LLP will reside in Woodland Glen III located in the South campus neighborhood.
There is a connected course for those students new to the Engineering Residential College LLP. The course number is EGR 199, sections 007 thru 012. All first-year ERC LLP residents must register for one of these
sections. The required textbook is Studying Engineering: A Road Map to a Rewarding Career (4th Edition). This is available for purchase at the University of Kentucky Bookstore or at Amazon.com and other sites.
The UK College of Engineering provides a Director of the Engineering Residential College LLP, who is available to help students on a regular basis. In addition to mentoring and guidance, the ERC LLP Director organizes various other activities listed below.
- Free tutoring and pizza are offered in The Study North basement of Champions Court I. (Time/Date TBD)
- Workshops on graduate school, Co-Ops, Internships, Resume Writing and more
- “Root beer with an Engineer”
- Scheduled informal chats with an engineering professional from local industries discussion the future of the engineering/computer science profession.
- Periodic site visits/field trips to local industries who employ engineering and computer science graduates.
For additional information on UK's Engineering program, visit www.engr.uky.edu.