About the Global Village Community
The Global Village Living Learning Community is a unique residential experience for students who seek Global awareness and understanding. The Global Village Living Learning Community enhances the academic experience by immersing students into a residential facility that houses both American and International students. As Global Village students' prepare to study abroad or plan on becoming global and local change agents, the residential environment provides an opportunity for students to gain a global perspective through the experiences of daily life and specialized programs.
The Global Village Living Learning community is looking for first year students who are interested in building relationships with students from a different culture than your own. All majors are accepted; however this community would be a good fit for students who are interested in studying abroad.
Through engagement with the Global Village Living Learning Community, a student will develop the following:
- A greater appreciation and understanding of difference and diversity.
- Enhanced levels of "Global Citizenship" as demonstrated through active participation and engagement in the LLC and larger, surrounding communities.
- Campus internationalization via understanding and support of international groups, programs, and opportunities offered on campus.
All students who participate in the Global Village Living Learning community will reside in Smith Hall located in the south campus neighborhood.
Students participating in the Global Village Living Learning Community are required to enroll in the corresponding section of UK 101: Academic Orientation. This course is designed to introduce first-year students to the intellectual life at the University of Kentucky.
Every year The Office of International Affairs organizes a variety of events that focus on international issues. International student groups also plan cultural events that introduce students to a wide range of perspectives. Our goal is to enhance the experiences of Global Village residents and international students. Beyond the residential experience students who enroll in the Global Village LLC can expect to participate in programs in and outside of the residence hall such as:
- Orientation for Global Village residents
- Cultural Diversity Festival
- International Talent Night
- International Festival
- International Connect
- Cross Cultural Workshops
- Multicultural Thanksgiving Dinner
- International Education Weekend any other events that take place throughout the year
For additional information on the Office of International Affairs or to connect with students who are currently in the program please check out the following links: