About the iNET Entrepreneurial Studies Community
The Innovation Network for Entrepreneurial Thinking, better known as iNET, is the University of Kentucky’s new academic program designed to help students develop skills to succeed on campus and in an entrepreneurial world.
The iNET LLC is a great way for freshman to connect with other creative students with innovative ideas and have opportunities to collaborate while engaging in exciting entrepreneurial activities and programs. Students will take dedicated on-site courses, and engage with the iNET Entrepreneur in Residence, the iNET Academic Faculty Director, the Big Blue Starters student entrepreneur organization, and entrepreneurial faculty and mentors both on and off campus. In addition to special iNET programming provided in Champions Court I, iNET LLC students will also be involved in all campus iNET programs and activities including competitions, workshops, and events.
The iNET LLC is open to a select group of students who want to become leaders and innovators, learn to think like entrepreneurs, build professional networks, and gain real world experience. The community consists of students from all backgrounds, interests and majors.
Learning OutcomesiNET LLC students will:
- Connect with other creative and innovative students and participate as a community in entrepreneurial activities and programs.
- Discover how to apply entrepreneurial thinking to succeed on campus and in an entrepreneurial world.
- Acquire leadership skills such as critical thinking, team building, information management, and innovative problem solving.
- Gain real world experience and entrepreneurial skills and learn steps to take to create a startup company.
- Engage with entrepreneurial mentors and inspiring entrepreneurs.
- Learn about different types of entrepreneurs and how entrepreneurship creates economic and social value.
- Build strategic networks on campus and in the local entrepreneurial community.
The iNET LLC students will reside in Champions Court I located in the north campus neighborhood.
All students who participate in the iNET Entrepreneurial Studies LLC will be required to enroll fall semester in a connected UK 101 course taught on-site by the iNET Entrepreneur in Residence, Brian Raney. Spring semester, Communications Professor and iNET Academic Director Derek Lane will teach a required course COM 381 Communication, Leadership and Entrepreneurial Thinking on-site. This is also a required course for the Undergraduate Certificate in Innovation & Entrepreneurial Thinking currently pending University approval.
The iNET LLC students are provided with special on-site programming in Champions Court I. Students are given the opportunity to discover their own entrepreneurial talents and interests as they learn team building, leadership, critical thinking, and innovative problem solving skills.
Students will engage in team exercises and activities to gain core entrepreneurial skills by developing their ideas into startups.
Programs and mentoring will be provided by the iNET Entrepreneur in Residence, iNET Academic Faculty Director, and on-campus and local entrepreneurial members of the iNET Advisory Board.
Guest speakers will include inspiring entrepreneurs from UK and the local entrepreneurial community.
Students will have the opportunity to participate in monthly entrepreneur workshops, Big Blue Starters meetings, and the UK Venture Challenge competition.