About the Transfer Community
The Transfer Living Learning Community is a residential experience designed to support students who are transferring from both two and four year institutions to the University of Kentucky. Academic success for Transfer LLC students is encouraged through connected courses with their peers, increased faculty and staff interaction, as well as intentional programming efforts.
The Transfer Living Learning Community is looking for students between the ages of 18-25 years of age, with at minimum of 24 credit hours from another institution. All academic majors and interests are welcomed.
Through participation in the Transfer LLC, a student will develop the following:
- Become Knowledgeable of campus resources and services available to them
- Become Knowledgeable of campus organizations and how to become involved
The Transfer LLP will help:
- Explain the academic requirements and expectations of students at the University of Kentucky.
- Help Transfer students become socially and academically integrated into the academic and social community at the University of Kentucky
- Complete the transfer student credit process at the University of Kentucky
- Retain transfer students from one semester to the next
- Increase the academic involvement and G.P.A of transfer students who participate in the transfer LLP.
All students who participate in the Transfer LLC will reside in Baldwin Hall, located in the south campus neighborhood. As a Transfer LLC student, you will have access to a unique space dedicated to supporting Transfer students through the transition into UK college life. The community is equipped with study rooms, active learning spaces, tutoring sessions and a host of other programming initiatives specifically for transfer students.
Students who enroll in the Transfer LLC will have the opportunity to participate in programs designed specifically to support Transfer student success such as:
- Organized in-hall study groups for any courses students would like extra help. For instance, in the past tutors have been hired to lead sessions in CHE 105 and MA 113
- Monthly in-hall workshops and seminars on topics vital to transfer student success with topics including but not limited to: how to get involved in student organizations, preparing for your career and how to find housing and/or sign a lease for next year
- Community service projects (example: Children's Hospital volunteering)
Students who participate in the Transfer LLC are required to enroll in the following courses:
UK 201 (1): his one-credit-hour course is designed to help transfer students adjust to academic life at the University of Kentucky. Through lectures, class discussions, and out-of-class assignments, students will articulate the purpose and nature of a college education at a research university; become aware of the University's mission, history, and traditions; demonstrate skills for achieving academic success such as information literacy; identify personal skills and interests that complement career search or choice; locate and use campus resources; reflect on personal and social issues that transfer students often face in a college environment; and form beneficial relationships with students, faculty, and staff. Offered on a pass/fail basis only. The course meeting pattern is 50 minutes twice a week for 10 1/2 weeks.