KGS Home | Personnel
Title: Geologist, Geologic Hazards Section
Kentucky Geological Survey
University of Kentucky
228 Mining and Mineral Resources Bldg.
Lexington, Kentucky 40506-0107
Joined KGS in 2001.
- PhD Candidate: Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Kentucky
Research area: Geotechnical-geophysical investigations of shallow colluvial landslides
- Master of Science: Geology, Eastern Kentucky University, August 1998 - May 2001
- Bachelor of Arts: Geology, Hanover College, September 1992 - May 1996
- Develop landslide hazards research under the Geologic Hazards Section
- Maintain and update the landslide inventory database and online map service
- Monitor hydrologic field conditions that lead to slope failure
- Conduct electrical resistivity surveys to characterize landslides
- Use LiDAR to map landslides
- Assist with earthquake hazard analysis, seismic network maintenance, and earthquake hazard communication
- Emphasize geologic hazard communication and outreach to public and private stakeholders interested in hazard assessment.
- Crawford, M.M., Wang, Zhenming, and Carpenter, N.S., 2016, Earthquake and landslide hazard assessment, communication, and mitigation in Kentucky, in Wessel, G.R. and Greenburg, J.K., eds., Geoscience for the Public Good and Global Development: Toward a Sustainable Future: Geological Society of America Special Paper 520 p. 359 - 369.
- Crawford, M.M., Zhu, J., and Webb, S.E., Geologic, geotechnical, and geophysical investigation of a shallow landslide, eastern Kentucky, Environmental and Engineering Geoscience, v. 21, no. 3, p.181-195
- Crawford, M.M., 2014, Inventory mapping and characterization of landslides using LiDAR: Kenton and Campbell Counties, Kentucky, in Soller, D.R., ed., 2014, Digital Mapping Techniques '11 - 12 Workshop Proceedings: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2014 - 1167, 134 p.
- Zhu, J., Taylor, T.P., Currens, J.C., and Crawford, M.M., 2014, Improved karst sinkhole mapping in Kentucky using LiDAR techniques: a pilot study in Floyds Fork Watershed, Journal of Cave and Karst Studies, v. 76, no. 3, p. 207 - 216.
- Potter, P.E., Bowers, M., Maynard, J.B., Crawford, M.M., Weisenfluh, G.A., and Agnello, T., 2013, Landslides and your property: Indiana Geological Survey Miscellaneous Item 111, 1 sheet.
- Crawford, M. M., 2012, Understanding landslides in Kentucky: Tools and methods to further landslide hazard research, in Eberhardt, E.; Froese, C.; Turner, K.A.; and Leroueil, S., eds., Landslides and Engineered Slopes, Proceedings of the11th International and 2nd North American Symposium on Landslides, Banff, Alberta, Canada, Vol. 1, pp. 467-472.
- Fei, S., Crawford, M.M., and Schibig, J., 2010, Assisting natural resource management in Mammoth Cave National Park using geospatial technology, in Hoalst-Pullen, N., and Patterson, M.W., eds., Geospatial technologies in environmental management: New York, Springer, p. 49-61.
- Weisenfluh, G.A., Curl, D.C., and Crawford, M.M., 2005, The Kentucky Geological Survey’s online geologic map and information system, in Soller, D.R., ed., 2005, Digital Mapping Techniques '05- Workshop Proceedings: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1428, 268 p.
- Crawford, M.M., Zhu, J., and Webb, S.E., 2014, Geologic, geotechnical, and geophysical investigation of a shallow landslide, eastern Kentucky, Kentucky Geological Survey, Report of Investigations, Series 12, 39 p.
- Crawford, M.M., 2014, Kentucky Geological Survey landslide inventory: From design to application, Kentucky Geological Survey Information Circular 31, Series 12, 18 p.
- Li, Q., Woolery, E.W., Crawford, M.M., and Vance, D.M., 2013, Seismic velocity database for the New Madrid Seismic Zone and its vicinity, Kentucky Geological Survey, IC_27_12, 15 p.
- Crawford, M.M., 2012, Using LiDAR to map landslides in Kenton and Campbell Counties, Kentucky: Kentucky Geological Survey Series XII, Report of Investigations 24, 12 p.
Also see several published maps under the KGS Geologic Map Series, KGS Map and Chart Series, and Digitally Vectorized Geologic Quadrangle Series.
- Current Chair of the Geological Society of America Environmental and Engineering Geology Division
- Current board member of the Appalachian Coalition for Geological Hazards in Transportation
- Adjunct Instructor – General Geology, Georgetown College, Fall 2004 - Spring 2011
- Authorized Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) instructor for ArcGIS classes - 2004-2010