KGS Home | Personnel
Title: Geologist, Geologic Hazards Section
Kentucky Geological Survey
University of Kentucky
228 Mining and Mineral Resources Bldg.
Lexington, Kentucky 40506-0107
Joined KGS in 2001.
- PhD Candidate: Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Kentucky
Research area: Geotechnical-geophysical investigations of shallow colluvial landslides
- Master of Science Geology, Eastern Kentucky University, August 1998 - May 2001
- Bachelor of Arts Geology, Hanover College, September 1992 - May 1996
Develop landslide hazards research under the Geologic Hazards Section, which includes maintaining the landslide inventory database, landslide mapping, and site-specific landslide monitoring and characterization projects. Emphasis also put on geologic hazard communication and outreach to public and private stakeholders interested in hazard assessment.
- Crawford, M.M., Zhu, J., and Webb, S.E., 2015, Geologic, geotechnical, and geophysical investigation of a shallow landslide, eastern Kentucky, Environmental & Engineering Geoscience, v. 21, no. 3, p. 181-195.
- Crawford, M.M., 2014, Inventory mapping and characterization of landslides using LiDAR: Kenton and Campbell Counties, Kentucky, in Soller, D.R., ed., 2014, Digital Mapping Techniques 11-12 Workshop Proceedings: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2014-1167, 134 p.
- Zhu, J., Taylor, T.P., Currens, J.C., and Crawford, M.M., 2014, Improved karst sinkhole mapping in Kentucky using LiDAR techniques: a pilot study in Floyds Fork Watershed, Journal of Cave and Karst Studies, v. 76, no. 3, p. 207-216.
- Potter, P.E., Bowers, M., Maynard, J.B., Crawford, M.M., Weisenfluh, G.A., and Agnello, T., 2013, Landslides and your property: Indiana Geological Survey Miscellaneous Item 111, 1 sheet.
- Crawford, M. M., 2012, Understanding landslides in Kentucky: Tools and methods to further landslide hazard research, in Eberhardt, E.; Froese, C.; Turner, K.A.; and Leroueil, S., eds., Landslides and Engineered Slopes, Proceedings of the11th International and 2nd North American Symposium on Landslides, Banff, Alberta, Canada, Vol. 1, pp. 467-472.
- Fei, S., Crawford, M.M., and Schibig, J., 2010, Assisting natural resource management in Mammoth Cave National Park using geospatial technology in Hoalst-Pullen, N., and Patterson, M.W., eds., Geospatial technologies in environmental management: New York, Springer, p. 49 - 61.
- Weisenfluh, G.A., Curl, D.C., and Crawford, M.M., 2005, The Kentucky Geological Survey’s online geologic map and information system, in Soller, D.R., ed., 2005, Digital Mapping Techniques '05- Workshop Proceedings: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005 - 1428, 268 p.
- Crawford, M.M., Zhu, J., and Webb, S.E., 2014, Geologic, geotechnical, and geophysical investigation of a shallow landslide, eastern Kentucky, Kentucky Geological Survey, Report of Investigations, Series 12, 39 p.
- Crawford, M.M., 2014, Kentucky Geological Survey landslide inventory: From design to application, Kentucky Geological Survey Information Circular 31, Series 12, 18 p.
- Li, Q., Woolery, E.W., Crawford, M.M., and Vance, D.M., 2013, Seismic velocity database for the New Madrid Seismic Zone and its vicinity, Kentucky Geological Survey, IC_27_12, 15 p.
- Crawford, M.M., 2012, Using LiDAR to map landslides in Kenton and Campbell Counties, Kentucky: Kentucky Geological Survey Series XII, Report of Investigations 24, 12 p.
- Current Chair-Elect of the Geological Society of America Environmental and Engineering Geology Division
- Current board member of the Appalachian Coalition for Geological Hazards in Transportation