KGS Home | Personnel
James S. Dinger
Title: Head, Water Resources Section
Kentucky Geological Survey
302 Mining and Mineral Resources Bldg.
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506-0107
- 1967, B.S., Geology, Juniata College, Pa.
- 1971, M.S., Geology, University of Vermont
- 1977, Ph.D., Hydrology, University of Nevada-Reno
Development, continuity, and agency interaction concerning water-resources programs in Kentucky; ground water; fracture control; coal-field hydrology; agricultural water quality; karst; databases.
- Geological Society of America
- Kentucky Society of Professional Geologist
- Kipp, J., Lawrence, F., and Dinger, J., 1983, A conceptual model of ground-water flow in the Eastern Kentucky Coal Field: 1983 Symposium on Surface Mining Hydrology, Sedimentation, and Reclamation, November 27-December 2, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, p. 543-548.
- Dinger, J., and Rebmann, J., 1986, Ordinance for the control of urban development in sinkhole areas in the Blue Grass Region, Lexington, Kentucky, in Environmental Problems in Karst Terranes and their Solutions: National Water Well Association, Bowling Green, Kentucky, October 28, 1986, p. 163-179.
- Kipp, J., and Dinger, J., 1987, Stress-relief fracture control of ground-water movement in the Appalachian Plateaus: National Water Well Association, Focus Conference on Eastern Regional Ground-Water Issues, p. 423-438.
- Dinger, J., Warner, R., and Kemp, J., 1988, Building an aquifer in coal-mine spoil--Concept and initial construction at the Star Fire Tract, eastern Kentucky: 1988 National Symposium on Mining, Hydrology, Sedimentology, and Reclamation, December 5-9, Office of Engineering, Continuing Education and Extension, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, p. 85-94.
- Wunsch, D.R., Dinger, J.S., Talylor, P.B., Carey, D.I., and Graham, C.D.R.,1996, Hydrogeology, hydrogeochemistry, and spoil settlement at a large mine spoil area in Eastern Kentucky: Star Fire Tract: Kentucky Geological Survey, ser. 11, Report of Investigations 10, 49 p.
- Taraba, J.L., Dinger, J.S., Sendlein, L.V.A., and Felton, G.K., 1997, Land use impacts on water quality in small karst agricultural watersheds, in Proceedings, Karst-Water Environment Symposium, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, October 30-31, Roanoke, Virginia, p. 99-109.
- Hutcheson, S.M., Kipp, J.S., Dinger, J.S., Sendlein, L.V.A., Carey, D.I., and Secrist, G.I., 2000 Effect of longwall mining on hydrology, Leslie County, Kentucky--Part 3; post-mining conditions: Kentucky Geological Survey, ser. 12, Report of Investigations 6, 21 p.
- Williams, R.M., Dinger, J.S., Powell, A.J., and Edwards, D.R., 1999, Evaluation of surface-water quality with regard to turfgrass maintenance in a suburban watershed, Inner Blue Grass, Kentucky: Kentucky Geological Survey, ser. 12, Report of Investigations 5, 33 p.
- Wunsch, David R., James S. Dinger and C. Douglas R. Graham, 1999, Predicting ground-water movement in large mine spoil areas in the Appalachian Plateau: International Journal of Coal Geology, v. 41, p 73-106.
- Fogle, A. W., Taraba, J. L., and Dinger, J. S., 2002, Effect of stream diuranal variations on mass loads in a small agricultural karst watershed: Am Society of Agricultural Engineers, TMDL Conference, March, Ft Worth, TX, 6 p.
- Dinger, James S., Andrews, Robert E., Wunsch, David R., and Dunno, Glenn A., 2002, Remote sensing and field techniques to locate fracture zones for high-yield water wells in the Appalachian Plateau, Kentucky: in proceedings of Fractured-Rock Aquifers 2002, National Ground Water Association, p 195-199.
- Andrews, Robert. E., Wunsch, David. R., and Dinger, James. S., 2002, Evaluation of the use of fracture-flow solutions to analyze aquifer test data collected from wells in the Eastern Kentucky Coal Field: in proceedings of Fractured-Rock Aquifers 2002, National Ground Water Association, p 119-123.
- Dinger, J.S., Andrews, R.E., Wunsch, D.R., Graham, C.D.R., Sweigard. R.J., and Conrad, P.W., 2002, Preliminary analysis of spoil settlement at a mountain-top-removal coal mine; Star Fire Tract, Eastern Kentucky Coal Field: poster, American Society of Mining Reclamation 19 th Annual National Conference, June 9-13, floppy disk.
- Fogle, A. W., J. L. Taraba, and J. S. Dinger. 2002. Errors in NO 3-N and total solutes mass load estimates utilizing low-budget sampling strategies in a karst watershed in Central Kentucky. Proceedings of Watershed Management to Meet Emerging TMDL Environmental Regulations Conference, American Society of Agricultural Engineers, Fort Worth, TX, March 11-13,p 422-428.
- Taraba, J.L., A.W. Fogle and J.S. Dinger. 2002. Monitoring impacts of animal research center on surface and groundwater quality. Progress Report. Water Quality Research & Education Program: SB 271-Phase IV. College of Agriculture, University of Kentucky.
- Beck, E. B., Dinger, J. S.,and Compton, S. J., 2003, Nitrate-nitrogen and pesticides in groundwater in the Jackson Purchase area, Kentucky: in Proceeding of Geological Society of American annual meeting, # 235-15, Seattle, WA, November 5.
- Fogel, W. W., J. L. Taraba, and J.S. Dinger, 2003, Mass load estimation errors utilizing grab sampling strategies in a karst watershed: Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 39(6), p.1361-1372.
- Andrews, R. E., Wunsch, D. R., Dinger, J. S., and Dunno, G. A. 2004, Using remote sensing and inclined drilling to locate high-yield wells in the Eastern Kentucky Coal Field, Kentucky Geological Survey, series 12, Report of Investigations 10, 40 p.