Stephen F. Greb
|Title: Geologist, Energy and Minerals Section
Kentucky Geological Survey
208 Mining and Mineral Resources Bldg.
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY 40506-0107
- 1982, B.S., Geology, University of Illinois, Urbana, Ill.
- 1985, M.S., Geology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Ky.
- 1992, Ph.D., Geology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Ky.
Duties include research on geologic carbon storage (sequestration), the subsurface geology of Kentucky, the geologic analysis of Kentucky coal beds, basin analyses, stratigraphy, sedimentology, paleontology, and communication of coal and general geology information to industry and the general public. As KGS education outreach committee chair, also coordinate education outreach activities and responsible for content of the Earth Science Education Network on the KGS Web site. Adjunct professor in Department of Geological Sciences, teaching GLY 130: Dinosaurs and Disasters and GLY 715: Coal Geology.
- Certified Kentucky Geologist
- Geological Society of America (Coal Division, Past Chair, 2004; Education Division, Kentucky delegate to Southeastern Education Committee, 1996-present; Sedimentology Division)
- Society of Sedimentary Geologists
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists
- Kentucky Society of Professional Geologists
- Kentucky Paleontological Society
Some Recent Publications:
- Cambro-Ordovician Knox carbonates as seal and potential targets for carbon sequestration in the eastern Midcontinent U.S.A., in Grobe, M., Pashin, J.C., and Dodge, R.L., eds., Carbon Dioxide Sequestration in Geological Media—State of the Science: AAPG Studies 59, 19 p.
- Martino, R.L., and Greb, S.F., 2009, Walking trails of the giant terrestrial arthropod Arthropleura from the Upper Carboniferous of Kentucky: Journal of Paleontology, v. 83, (1) p. 140-146.
- Greb, S.F., and Chesnut, D.R., Jr., 2009, Carboniferous geology and biostratigraphy of the Appalachian and Black Warrior basins: Kentucky Geological Survey, ser. 12, Special Publication 10, 101 p.
- Finkelman, R., and Greb, S., 2008, Chapter 10-Environmental and health impacts [of coal], in Suárez-Ruiz, I., and Crelling, J.C., eds., Applied Coal Petrology-The Role of Petrology in Coal Utilization: El Sevier Publications, p.263-287.
- Greb, S.F., Pashin, J. C., Martino, R.M., and Eble, C.F., 2008, Appalachian sedimentary cycles during the Pennsylvanian: Changing influences of sea level, climate, and tectonics, in Fielding C.F., Frank, T.D., and Isbell, J. L., ed., Resolving the Late Paleozoic Gondwanan Ice Age in Time and Space: Geological Society of America Special Publication Special Publication 441, p. 235-248.
- Greb, S.F., and Archer, A.W., 2007, Soft-sediment deformation produced by tides in a hypertidal estuary in a meizoseismic area, Turnagain Arm, Alaska: Geology, v. 35, p. 435-438.
- Greb, S.F., Eble, C.F., Peters, D.C., and Papp, A.R., 2006, Coal and the Environment: American Geological Institute, Environmental Education Series, 64 p.
- Greb, S.F., and Anderson, W.H., 2006, Kentucky (Annual mining review, 2005): Mining Engineering, v. 58, p. 92-95.
- Greb, S.F., and DiMichele, W.A., 2006, Preface, in Greb, S.F., and DiMichele, W.A., eds., Wetlands through Time: Geological Society of America Special Paper 399, 3 p.
- Greb, S.F., DiMichele, W.A., and Gastaldo, R. A., 2006, Evolution and importance of wetlands in earth history, in Greb, S.F., and DiMichele, W.A., eds., Wetlands through Time: Geological Society of America Special Paper 399, p.1-40.
- Garcia, W.J., Storrs, G.W., and Greb, S.F., 2006, The Hancock County tetrapod locality, a new Mississippian (Chesterian) wetlands fauna from western Kentucky, in Greb, S.F., and DiMichele, W.A., eds., Wetlands through Time: Geological Society of America Special Paper 399, p.155-168.
- Greb, S.F., Eble, C.F., and Hower, J.C., 2005, Subtle structural influences on coal thickness and distribution: examples from the Stockton coal (Bolsovian), Eastern Kentucky Coal Field, U.S.A., in Warwick, P. (Ed.), Coal System Analysis, Geological Society of America, Special Publication 387, p. 31-50.
- Greb, S.F., and Martino, R.L., 2005, Fluvial-estuarine transitions in fluvial-dominant successions; examples from the Lower Pennsylvanian of the Central Appalachian Basin, in Blum, M., Marriott, S.B., and Leclair, S., (Eds.), Fluvial Sedimentology VII: Blackwell Publishing, International Association of Sedimentologists, Special Publication No. 35, p. 425-452.
Complete list of publications
Short courses, workshops, and outreach
Research awards and honors