KGS Home > Coal
Abandoned Mine Lands (General)
- Bureau of Land Management, 2004, Safety hazards at abandoned mines (coal and other)-Six reasons to stay away, website, http://www.blm.gov/aml/hazards1.htm#top
- Colorado Division of Minerals and Geology, 2002, Best practices in abandoned mine land reclamation: The remediation of post-mining activities: Colorado Division of Minerals and Geology, 42 p. http://www.ott.wrcc.osmre.gov/library/hbmanual.htm
- Johnson, W., and Miller, G.C., 1979, Abandoned coal-mine lands: nature, extent, and cost of reclamation: U.S. Bureau of Mines, 29 p.
- Office of Surface Mine Reclamation and Enforcement, 1977, Surface Mine Control and Reclamation Act (SMCRA), Public Law 95-87, http://www.ott.wrcc.osmre.gov/smcra.htm
- Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement, 1987, Surface coal mining reclamation: 10 years of progress, 1977-1987: U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 49 p.
- Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement, 1992, Surface coal mining reclamation: 15 years of progress, 1977-1992: U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 53 p.
- Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement, 1992, 25th anniversary of surface mining law http://www.osm.gov/25thanniversaryreport.htm
- Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement, 1997, 20th Anniversary of the Surface Mining Law: A report on the protection and restoration of the nation's land and water resources under the Surface Mining Law, http://www.osm.gov/annivrep.htm
- Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement, 2002, Market-based mine land reclamation: U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C., 8 fact sheets, 16 p., http://www.osmre.gov/market-basedindex.htm
- Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement, 2004, Abandoned mine land inventory system (AMLIS): U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C., http://www.osmre.gov/aml/inven/zamlis.htm, last updated 2/12/2004.
- Office of Surface Mine Reclamation and Enforcement, no date, accessed in 2006, (Abandoned mine land) Photo library website, http://www.osmre.gov/scripts/album.pl
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources, 2005, Abandoned mined lands: Abandoned mine lands problem type website, http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/mineral/abandoned/a2.html
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources, no date-accessed 2006, AML-problem type: Dangerous impoundment website, http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/mineral/ask/impoundments.htm
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources, no date-accessed 2006, AML-problem type: Highwall danger website, http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/mineral/ask/highwall.htm
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources, no date-accessed 2006, AML-problem type: Portals and vertical mine openings website, http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/mineral/ask/mineopenings.htm
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, 2001, Supplemental report on the effects of underground coal mining, Supplement to the June, 1999 report: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, no. 5600-BK-DEP2605, 45 p., http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/minres/bmr/act54/index2.html
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2001, Abandoned mine site characterization and cleanup handbook: Washington, D.C., EPA-530-R-01-002, 433 p., http://www.ott.wrcc.osmre.gov/library/hbmanual/epa530c.htm
- Wright, M.A. (ed.), The practical guide to reclamation in Utah: Utah Division of Oil, Gas, and Mining, 163 p. http://ogm.utah.gov/mining/default.htm
- See also Bibliography of reclamation on abandoned mine lands, hosted by American Society of Landscape Architects, 26 p. http://host.asla.org/groups/rrpigroup/Reclamation_bibliography1.pdf
See also National Association of Abandoned Mine Land Programs, http://www.onenet.net/~naamlp/
Compilation of state agencies that administer the AML program in their states. Website contains a good overview of the types of hazards posed by abandoned mine lands, reports on AML-sponsored projects, and links to state-administered AML programs.
See also Virginia Cooperative Extension-Powell River Project Series on restoration of abandoned mine lands http://www.ext.vt.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Docs.woa/wa/getcat?cat=ir-nrem-mr
See also Post-mine Land Uses
See also Reclamation
See also Revegetation
Back to Coal and the Environment References