KGS Home > Coal
Coal Combustion Byproducts/Wastes
- Adriano, D.C., Page, A.L., Elsewi, A.A., Chang, A.C., and Staughan, I., 1980, Utilization and disposal of fly ash and other coal residues in terrestrial ecosystems: A review: Journal of Environmental Quality, v. 9, p. 333-334.
- Balsamo, N., 1986, Fly ash use in strip mine reclamation: Coal Mining Process., v. 23, p. 25-30.
- Carlson, C.L., and Adriano, D.C., 1993, Environmental impact of coal combustion residues: Journal of Environmental Quality, v. 27, p. 227-247.
- Cherry, D.S., Guthrie, R.K., Davis, E.M., and Harvey, R.S., 1984, Coal ash basin effects (particulates, metals, acidic pH) upon aquatic biota: An eight-year evaluation: Water Resources Bulletin, v. 20, p. 535-545.
- Costello, C., 2003, Acid mine drainage: Innovative treatment technologies: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response, Technology Innovation Office, Washington, D.C., 47 p., http://clu-in.org/download/studentpapers/costello_amd.pdf
- Daniels, W.L., Stewart, B., Haering, K., and Zipper, C., 2002, The potential for beneficial reuse of coal fly ash in southwest Virginia mining environments: Virginia Cooperative Extension, Powell River Project, Publication 460-134, 19 p. http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/mines/460-134/460-134.html
- Evangelou, V.P., 1996, Coal ash chemical properties and potential influence on water quality, in Vories, K., and Joseph, B., eds, Session V, Environment: Land and Water: Coal Combustion By-Products Associated with Coal Mining Interactive Forum, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois, Oct. 29-32, 1996, p. 119-135. http://www.mcrcc.osmre.gov/PDF/Forums/CCB3/CCB3%20COVER.pdf
- Gray, T.A., Kyper, T.N., and Snodgrass, J.L., 1997, Disposal of coal combustion byproducts in underground coal mines: University of Kentucky, Center for Applied Energy Research, v.8, p.4-5.
- Guthrie, R.K., Davis E.M., Cherry, D.S., and Walton, J.R., 1982, Impact of coal ash from electric power production on changes in water quality: Water Resources Bulletin, v. 18, p. 135-138.
- Kim, A.G., 2001, Utilization of coal combustion by-products: Determining the environmental safety: Center for Applied Energy Research, University of Kentucky, Energeia, v. 12, p. 1-4. http://www.caer.uky.edu/energeia/enerhome.shtml
- Kim, A.G., 2002, The use of coal combustion by-products to control acid mine drainage: U.S. Department of Energy, National Energy Technology Laboratory, Division of Environmental Science and Technology, 11 p.
- National Research Council, 1975, Underground disposal of coal mine wastes: a report to the National Science Foundation Study Committee to assess the feasibility of returning underground coal mine wastes to the mined-out areas: National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 172 p.
- Office of Surface Mining-Western Region, 2001, Guidance on disposal of coal combustion byproducts in the western United States when OSM Western region is the regulatory authority: Office of Surface Mining, Western Region, 6 p. http://www.wrcc.osmre.gov/Guidances/CCBguidance.html
- Theis, T.L., and Wirth, J.L., 1977, Sorptive behavior of trace metals on fly ash in aqueous systems: Environmental Science and Technology, v. 11, p. 1096-1100.
- U.S. Department of Energy, 2005, Coal utilization byproduct research website, http://www.fossil.energy.gov/programs/powersystems/pollutioncontrols/overview_coalbyproducts.html
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1999, Report to Congress–Wastes from the combustion of fossil fuels: Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response, Washington, D.C., EPA 530-S-99-010, Executive Summary, v. 1, 40 p., Methods, Findings, and Recommendations, v. 2, 232 p. http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/other/fossil/index.htm
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2000, Regulatory determination on wastes from the combustion of fossil fuels: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Solid Waste, Washington, D.C., Environmental Fact Sheet, EPA530-F-00-025, May, 2000, 2 p. http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/other/fossil/index.htm
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2000, Regulatory determination on wastes from the combustion of fossil fuels: final rule: Federal Register, v. 65, no. 99, 40 CFR, Part 261, p. 32213-32237. http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/other/fossil/index.htm
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, no date-accessed in 2006, Resource conservation recovery act (RCRA)- 42 U.S.C. s/s 6901 et seq. (1976), http://www.epa.gov/region5/defs/html/rcra.htm
- Vories, K.C., 2004, The beneficial use of coal combustion by-products (CCBs) at SMCRA-regulated coal mines: Center for Applied Energy Research, University of Kentucky, Energeia, v. 15, p. 1-3. http://www.caer.uky.edu/energeia/enerhome.shtml
Back to Coal and the Environment References