KGS Home > Coal
Sedimentation, Erosion, Flooding, and Runoff
- Collier, C.R., 1964, Influence of strip mining on the hydrologic environment of parts of Beaver Creek basin, Kentucky, 1955-1959: U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 427-B, 85 p.
- Ferris, F.K., and 22 coauthors, 1996, Handbook of Western reclamation techniques: Denver, Office of Technology Transfer, Western Regional Coordinating Center, Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement, varied pagination, http://www.ott.wrcc.osmre.gov/library/hbmanual/westrecl.htm
- Knight, A.L., and Newton, J.G., 1977, Water and related problems in coal-mine areas of Alabama: U.S. Geological Survey, Water Resources Investigation 76-130, 51 p.
- Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement, 1987, Surface coal mining reclamation: 10 years of progress, 1977-1987: U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 49 p.
- Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement, 1992, Surface coal mining reclamation: 15 years of progress, 1977-1992: U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 53 p.
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources, no date-accessed 2006, AML-problem type: Flooding and mine drainage website: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/mineral/ask/minedrainage.htm
- Renard, K.G., Foster, G.R., Weesies, G.A., McKool, D.K., and Yoder, D.C. (coords), 1996, Predicting soil erosion by water; A guide to conservation planning with the revised universal soil loss equation (RUSLE): U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agriculture Handbook No. 703, 404 p., http://www.ott.wrcc.osmre.gov/library/hbmanual/rusle703.htm
- Simons and Li Associates, Inc., 1982, Design manual for sedimentation control through sedimentation ponds and other physical/chemical treatment: U.S. Department of the Interior, Office of Surface Mining, 173 p., http://www.ott.wrcc.osmre.gov/library/hbmanual/design.htm
- Simons and Li Associates, Inc., 1983, Design of sediment control measures: U.S. Department of the Interior, Office of Surface Mining, 371 p., http://www.ott.wrcc.osmre.gov/library/hbmanual/design.htm
- Strellec, K.L., 2000, Economic and environmental impact assessment of proposed effluent limitations guidelines and standards for coal mining industry: Remining and Western Alkaline subcategories: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water, Washington, D.C., EPA 821-B-00-002, March, 160 p., http://www.epa.gov/ost/guide/coal/
- Tourbier, J.T., 1980, A handbook for small surface coal mine operations: U.S. Department of Interior, Office of Surface Mining, Washington, D.C., 130 p., http://www.ott.wrcc.osmre.gov/library/hbmanual/hbsmo.htm
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1974, Environmental protection of surface mining of coal: National Environmental Research Center, Office of Research and Development, Cincinnati, OH, Environmental Protection Technology Series, EPA-670/2-74-093, 277 p.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1976, Erosion and sediment control–surface mining in the eastern United States: Washington, D.C., EPA-625/3-76-006, v. 1, Planning, 102 p.; v. 2, Design, 136 p.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1983, Areawide assessment on the development of a NEPA compliance strategy for new source coal mining activity in the East Kentucky Coal Field: Region 4, Atlanta, GA., EPA-904/9-83-114, 314 p.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2003, Mid-Atlantic mountaintop mining draft programmatic environmental impact statement: varied pagination, www.epa.gov/region3/mtntop/eis.htm
- Wright, M.A. (ed.), The practical guide to reclamation in Utah: Utah Division of Oil, Gas, and Mining, 163 p., http://ogm.utah.gov/mining/default.htm
Back to Coal and the Environment References