KGS Home > Coal
Subsidence and Settlement
- Brauner, G., 1973, Subsidence due to underground mining, pt. 1: U.S. Bureau of Mines, Information Circular 8571, 56 p.; pt. 2, IC 8572, 53 p.
- Charles, J.A., Naismith, W.A., and Buford, D., 1977, Settlement of backfill at Horslev restored opencast mining site, in Geddes, J.D., ed., Large Ground Movements and Structures: New York, Wiley Publishing, p. 229-251.
- Crowell, 2000, Mine subsidence: Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Geological Survey, Geofacts No. 12, 2 p.
- Dunrud, C.R., and Osterwald, F.W., 1978, Effects of coal mine subsidence in the western Powder River Basin, Wyoming: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 78-473, 71 p.
- Harper, D., 1982, Mine subsidence in Indiana: Indiana Geological Survey, Special Report 27, 17 p.
- Hobba, W.A., Jr., 1987, Ground-water study 5, in Richards, D.B., ed., Ground-water information manual: Coal mine permit applications: U.S. Department of the Interior, Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement, in cooperation with the U.S. Geological Survey, v. 2, p. 147-187, http://www.ott.wrcc.osmre.gov/library/hbmanual/grdh20infovol2.htm
- Johnson, W., and Miller, G.C., 1979, Abandoned coal-mine lands: nature, extent, and cost of reclamation: U.S. Bureau of Mines, 29 p.
- Kane, W.F., and L.R. Powell, 1991, The effects of geology on coal mine-induced subsidence in the United States, in Peters, D.C., ed., Geology in Coal Resource Utilization: Fairfax, Virginia, Techbooks, Inc., p. 335-355.
- Minns-Hutcheson, S., Kipp, J.A., Dinger, J.S., Carey, D.I., Sendlein, L.V.A., and Secrist, G.L., 2000, Effects of longwall mining on hydrogeology, Leslie County, Kentucky: Kentucky Geological Survey, Series 12, Report of Investigations 6, 21 p.
- Panel on Land Subsidence, 1991, Mitigating losses from land subsidence in the United States: National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 60 p., http://www.nap.edu/catalog/1796.html
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, 2001, Supplemental report on the effects of underground coal mining, Supplement to the June, 1999 report: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, no. 5600-BK-DEP2605, 45 p., http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/minres/bmr/act54/index2.html
- Turney, J.E., 1985, Subsidence above inactive coal mines: Information for the homeowner: Colorado Geological Survey, Special Publication 26, 32 p.
- Wunsch, D.R., Dinger, J.S., Taylor, P.B., Carey, D.I., and Graham, C.D.R., 1996, Hydrogeology, hydrogeochemistry, and spoil settlement at a large mine-spoil area in eastern Kentucky: Star Fire Tract: Kentucky Geological Survey, ser. 12, Report of Investigations 10, 49 p.
Back to Coal and the Environment References