KGS Home > Coal
Surface Water Issues
- Brady, B.C., Kania, T., Smith, W.M., and Hornberger, R.J., eds., 1998, Coal Mine Drainage Prediction and Pollution Prevention in Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, 398 p., http://www.ott.wrcc.osmre.gov/library/pub/cmdpppp.htm
- Collier, C.R., 1964, Influence of strip mining on the hydrologic environment of parts of Beaver Creek basin, Kentucky, 1955-1959: U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 427-B, 85 p.
- Earle, J., and Callaghan, T., 1998, Impacts of mine drainage on aquatic life, water uses, and man-made structures, in Brady, B.C., Kania, T., Smith, W.M., and Hornberger, R.J., eds., Coal Mine Drainage Prediction and Pollution Prevention in Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, p. 4.1-4.10, http://www.ott.wrcc.osmre.gov/library/pub/cmdpppp.htm
- Kleinman, R.L.P.(ed), 2000, Prediction of water quality at surface coal mines: National Mine Land Reclamation Center, West Virginia University, varied pagination. http://www.ott.wrcc.osmre.gov/library/hbmanual/predictH2O.htm
- Knight, A.L., and Newton, J.G., 1977, Water and related problems in coal-mine areas of Alabama: U.S. Geological Survey, Water Resources Investigation 76-130, 51 p.
- Office of Surface Mine Reclamation and Enforcement, no date, accessed in 2006, (Abandoned mine land) Photo library-Surface and groundwater protection website, http://www.osmre.gov/scripts/album.pl?album=Water;photo_height=150
- Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement, 2002, Permitting hydrology-A technical reference document for determination of probable hydrologic consequences (PHC) and cumulative hydrologic impact assessments (CHIA): U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C., 193 p., http://www.osmre.gov/hydrologicinformation.htm
- Strellec, K.L., 2000, Economic and environmental impact assessment of proposed effluent limitations guidelines and standards for coal mining industry: Remining and Western Alkaline subcategories: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water, Washington, D.C., EPA 821-B-00-002, March, 160 p., http://www.epa.gov/ost/guide/coal/
- Theis, T.L., and Wirth, J.L., 1977, Sorptive behavior of trace metals on fly ash in aqueous systems: Environmental Science and Technology, v. 11, p. 1096-1100.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2001, Development document for final effluent limitations guidelines and standards for the western alkaline coal mining subcategory: Office of Water, and Office of Science and Technology, Washington, D.C., EPA-821-B-01-012, varied pagination, http://www.ott.wrcc.osmre.gov/elearning/OTTEPA40CFRPart434/westdoc/epa821b01012.pdf
See also Acidic Drainage
See also GroundwaterIssues
Back to Coal and the Environment References