KGS Home >
Earth Science Education
Speleology (Caving) Web Site
- American Cave Conservation Association, this site has a lot of information about caves and has a virtual cave tour with lots of images. They have a section on education for teachers.
- Blue Grass Grotto, the central Kentucky chapter of the National Speleological Society. Provides information about the organization, caving in Kentucky, calendar of meetings and caving trips in Kentucky, and mailing lists to cavers around the world.
- Green River Grotto, the western Kentucky chapter of the National Speleological Society. Provides information about the organization, caving in Kentucky, calendar of meetings and caving trips in Kentucky, and karst field studies at Mammoth Cave National Park in western Kentucky.
- National Speleological Society. Organization founded to promote the study, conservation, exploration, and knowledge about caves. Under the Learn about Caves option are numerous links to selected cave sites categorized by topic and grade level (elementary, etc.). An Audio/visual section shows a list of films and slide shows that are available on loan to members.
- Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky. Provides information on park tours, park geology, karst topography, cave life, and other subjects, as well as a virtual historic tour of the cave in 1844.
- Europa Communications. Provides a color map of Lechuguilla Cave, near Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico, and lets you explore different parts of the cave through photos. Also provides three-dimensional animations of several caves, but these are large files to download
- Good Earth Graphics. Provides a list and photos of common cave formations and minerals as a multimedia, virtual cave tour.
Return to Key to Earth Science Standards
Return to Key Earth Science Links-Alphabetical Topics List
Return to Earth Science Education Page
Return to Kentucky Geological Survey Home Page