KGS Home >
Earth Science Education
Weather Web Sites
- USA Todays Weather Page. Aside from posting todays weather map, this site provides information about weather basics, hurricanes, tornadoes, thunderstorms, hydrology, and a topic index. The Ask Jack site provides excellent links to K-12 lesson plans, weather photographs, and other information for the classroom.
- CNNs Weather Page. Provides interactive four-day forecasts, all you have to do is type in a Zip Code, State or World city. This site also provides U.S forecasts, global forecasts, and global weather maps.
- Doppler Color Radar, The Weather Channel
- National Weather Service
- Local Weather, by Intellicast, worldwide coverage.
- Accuweather, personalized weather reports.
- Exploring the Environment, NASA. A NASA Classroom of the Future. This site is an on-line Earth-system science course for middle and high school teachers. Under the subheading Modules and Activities are three weather-related exercises; Atmosphere, Severe Weather-Hurricanes, and Weather or Not? These modules involve students collecting and plotting data concerning the weather and then making predictions based on the data.
- Explore the GLOBEAtmosphere lnvestigation, NASA. The GLOBE site is an interactive site that lets teachers and students from 4000 schools in 55 countries works with research scientists exploring our planet. The Atmosphere investigation contains background material, suggestions for hands-on field-based investigations and data collections. Protocols include identifying types of clouds, amount of cloud cover, temperature, and pH of precipitation. This site is aimed at classrooms that want to collect and exchange data, so is probably more suited to 8-12 grade classrooms. Several other science investigations are offered.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration-Home Page. This site provides information about the NOAA, weather, climate, El Nino, environmental information, weather careers, and much more. Click on Weather to see pages devoted to Local Weather, National Items, National Storm Warnings, World Weather, Satellite, Radar and Hot Links, and Weather Videos. The Satellite section lets you see satellite images of the earth and weather. The videos section has on-line videos of tornadoes, hurricanes, lightning, thunderstorms, floods, and other severe weather.
- HGTVs Tornado Project-On-line. Contains numerous photographs and much information about tornadoes, including where they occur, recent tornadoes, what to do in case of a tornado, fact sheets, myths, stories, and links to other sites. This company also sells videos and booklets, but you dont have to buy anything to view the site.
- National Weather Service. Provides natural hazards statistics, an annual natural disaster map, publications and hazards awareness material, and educational resources links.