KGS Director Among Industry, Academic Leaders Appointed to UK CAER Advisory Board
University of Kentucky President Eli Capilouto has appointed two dozen members to a new advisory board for the Center for Applied Energy Research. CAER, like the Kentucky Geological Survey, is organized under the UK Vice President for Research, and KGS Director Bill Haneberg is among the appointed members. Scientists at the Center work with government agencies, other UK institutes, and private companies on pressing energy issues including renewable energy resources, solar energy technology, carbon capture, and other research fields. KGS and CAER researchers have collaborated on research, particularly relating to coal.
“I thank all of the advisory board members for their willingness to serve,” said CAER Director Rodney Andrews. “The depth and breadth of expertise will provide the Center and our research teams with valuable, strategic insight.”
“I’m honored to be appointed as one of the original members of CAER’s advisory board,” said Haneberg, who has a standing appointment to the board by virtue of his position as director of KGS. “CAER and KGS share common research interests, including energy and the capture and storage of human-generated carbon dioxide. KGS also has a similar board, composed of experts from a wide variety of backgrounds. I’m certain CAER will benefit from the advice of this new board, as we do from ours.”
The full membership of the new CAER Advisory Board is:
- Robert Addington, retired, energy executive and entrepreneur
- Rocky Adkins, Kentucky State Representative
- Jared Carpenter, Kentucky State Senator
- Joe Craft, president and CEO, Alliance Resource Partners, L.P.
- David Drake, UK CAER Advisory Board Chair; retired, energy executive
- Brian Goodall, vice president, Valicor Renewables & Valicor Nutraceuticals
- William Haneberg, director, Kentucky Geological Survey
- Greg Higdon, president and CEO, Kentucky Association of Manufacturers
- Rick Honaker, chair, UK Department of Mining Engineering
- George Huber, Harvey D. Spangler Professor, University of Wisconsin–Madison
- Mark Meier, chair, UK Department of Chemistry
- Kevin Mussler, vice president, CMTA Inc.
- Michael Portwood, president, Minova-Americas
- Keith Roberts, engineer, Army Aviation and Missile Research Development and Engineering Center
- Warren Schimpf, technical advisor, Advanced Fiber Technologies Inc.
- Sara Smith, president, Smith Management Group
- Charles G. Snavely, secretary, Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet
- James J. (Jerry) Spivey, James M. Shivers Professor, Louisiana State University
- Richard Sturgill, CEO, BPM Lumber, LLC
- Paul Thompson, president and COO, LG&E and KU Energy LLC
- Brad Toon, senior management consultant, Sargent & Lundy
- Mitzi R. Vernon, dean and professor, UK College of Design
- Robert H. Wombles, vice president of Global Customer Technical Service, Koppers Inc.
- John Wright, executive vice president, Owensboro Grain Co.