KGS researchers present papers and receive recognition at the Eastern Section, Association of American Petroleum Geologists annual meeting
The 46th meeting of the Eastern Section of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists was held in Morgantown, W.Va., in September. Staff from the KGS Energy and Minerals Section presented papers and posters and received recognition for their work.
Ethan Davis and Marty Parris received the Division of Environmental Geosciences Best Poster Award for “Revising the Fresh-Saline Water Interface in Eastern Kentucky,” a poster they presented at the 2016 ES-AAPG meeting held in Lexington.
The Ralph L. Miller Memorial Best Energy Minerals Division Paper Award went to Julie Floyd and Stephen F. Greb for “Subsurface Analyses of the Bedford-Berea Petroleum System in Eastern Kentucky,” which they presented at the 2016 meeting.
John Hickman completed his term as president at Eastern Section meeting, received the Section’s 2017 Distinguished Service Award.
Papers presented at the meeting by KGS staff and other researchers who worked with KGS are listed below. Abstracts can be viewed by clicking on the titles of each paper.
- Porosity and CO2 Storage Capacity of the Maryville Basal Sandstone Section in the Kentucky Geological Survey 1 Hanson Aggregates Stratigraphic Research Well, Carter County, Kentucky, J. Richard Bowersox, Stephen F. Greb, and David C. Harris
- Organic Matter Content and Thermomaturation Trends in the Ohio and Sunbury Shales, Eastern Kentucky, Central Appalachian Basin, by Cortland F. Eble, Paul C. Hackley (U.S. Geological Survey), Stephen F. Greb, and Thomas M. Parris
- Porosity and Permeability of Berea Reservoirs (Upper Devonian) in Eastern Kentucky, by Stephen F. Greb, Ethan S.L. Davis, and David C. Harris
- Analysis of the Conasauga Group and Basal Sandstone (Upper Cambrian) in the KGS No. 1 Hanson Aggregates Well, Carter County, Kentucky, Stephen F. Greb, J. Richard Bowersox, and David C. Harris
- Oil Source-Rock Correlation Studies in the Shallow Berea Sandstone, Northeastern Kentucky, Paul C. Hackley (U.S. Geological Survey), T. Marty Parris, Stephen F. Greb, Cortland F. Eble, and David C. Harris
- Pore Types, Capillary Pressure, and Diagenetic Controls on Reservoir Quality in the Upper Devonian Berea Sandstone, Eastern Kentucky, David C. Harris, T. Marty Parris, and J. Richard Bowersox
- Kentucky Oil History: The Approaching 200th Anniversary of the Beatty Well, by Brandon Nuttall
- Molecular and Isotopic Composition of Associated and Nonassociated Gases and Evolution of Gas in the Berea Sandstone, Eastern Kentucky, T. Marty Parris, Paul C. Hackley (U.S. Geological Survey), Steven F. Greb, and Cortland F. Eble