KGS hosts courses with the Society of American Archivists
KGS is hosting a Society of American Archivists course on curation of digital records Friday, Nov. 3. The day-long course, “Digital Curation: Fundamentals for Success,” will be useful for archivists working for government agencies, universities, libraries, museums, businesses, and historical organizations. The course will be held at the KGS Well Sample and Core Library, on Research Park Drive in Lexington.
Digital archives require professional curatorial practices, just as paper archives do. Participants in this course will discover the differences and similarities between curating paper and electronic records, learn a system of best practices for digital curation, and review what any institution needs to implement to ensure the success of its own digital curation.
Participants will learn to:
- Identify the components of team building and digital curation that are necessary to begin working toward a curation prototype in your institution
- Pinpoint areas to invest in locally to build knowledge and skills to meet the needs of a digital repository program at your institution
- Review existing digital repository characteristics that best illustrate roads to success
- Gain access to resources, guides, models, and best practices relevant to the digital curation/repository landscape
- Recognize and establish relationships in an organization to achieve a digital archives repository program
See here for more information on the cost and registration for the Nov. 3 workshop. Note that the lower-cost early-bird registration deadline is Oct. 3.
A catered lunch will be provided by KGS.
Future workshops in the collaboration between KGS and the Society of American Archivists are:
March 12, 2018: Digital Curation Planning and Sustainable Futures. Information available here.
May 3–4, 2018: Arrangement and Description Fundamentals. More information on this workshop will be made available later.
For more information, contact Liz Adams, Kentucky Geological Survey, email@example.com, or (859) 323-0518.