Lincoln county is located in south central Kentucky in the southern part of the ring of Knobs around the Bluegrass. It includes the headwaters of the Dix and Green Rivers. Lincoln county was one of the original Kentucky counties formed by Virginia in 1780. It was named for General Benjamin Lincoln, a Virginia soldier who was a British prisoner at the time the county was formed. The original county seat was Fort Harrod, which is now Harrodsburg in what is now Mercer county. It was moved to Logan's Fort, now Stanford, in 1787.