Avon is a Fayette county village at Briar Hill Road (KY 57) and Haley Pike near the Bourbon county line. It was once Avon Station on the Kentucky Union Railroad. The source of the name is obscure. In 1941 the Lexington Blue Grass Ordinance Depot was opened in Avon. It has since been turned over to state control and is primarily an industrial park and is known as Bluegrass Station. The Avon post office operated from 1890 until 1913.